Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobi Vs gauss-seidel

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    How we prove that rate of convergence of gauss-Seidel method is approximately twice that of Jacobi iterative method without doing an example itself ?

What's the general proof of this statement ? I didn't fin in any book ?
    Can anyone plz help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your statement about the convergence speeds is not true in general, though it seems to be widely believed (or at least, it's easy to find assertions that it is true, but without any proof, on the web!).

For example see the first few lines of http://www.mit.edu/~jnt/Papers/J025-89-Jacobi_GS.pdf

The convergence rate of Gauss-Siedel is dependent on the ordering of the matrix, and in some cases it may converge for some orderings but not for others. So proving any general result that GS has better convergence than Jacobi is not going to be easy, even if it is true.

Finding an counter-example might be an easier task.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks Alphazero . I was also thinking of that .but in many books I have found thy statement . That's why i raise this question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook