How do I solve a Jacobian problem involving a determinant?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in math for economics involving special determinants, specifically the Jacobian and Hessian. The problem involves finding the determinants of a matrix and the steps for solving it are discussed. The questioner is confused about certain parts and asks for clarification. They also mention that they found the conversation through a Google search and apologize for posting in the wrong section.
Centurion1
Not sure if this is where I should put this but currently I am taking math for econ and we are on special determinants (jacobian, Hessian, Bordered Hessian, some Leontiff)

So I have this problem in my notes that I am basically basing my exam studying around since the book isn't the best. It is a Jacobian heading into a hessian but I am more confused about the Jacobian. So this is what I have

z = 2x2 + 4y2 - 2xy + 65 + λ(32-x-y)

zx = 4x - 2y + λ
zy = 8y - 2x +λ
zλ = 32-x-y

Then it goes into the matrice and I have written

4 -2 -1 x 0
-2 -8 -1 y = 0
-1 -1 0 λ -32

lJl = lAl = -16 ≠ 0 p(a) = 3

Ok so once I have made the matrice (which makes sense to me) I can even find the determinants of the first part. I am just confused how 0 0 -32 came about and also where the last bit which i assume is the final answer means. I can do a 2x2 Jacobian easily its when it is like this that confuses me. What step am I missing. Also if this is the wrong section I apologize feel free to move it. I just googled how to do something and this was where something on determinants was

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Im sorry I just realized that this should be in Homework help. If a moderator would move it please. I am sorry for cluttering yalls forum.

1. What is the Jacobian determinant?

The Jacobian determinant, also known as the Jacobian, is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus. It is a scalar value that represents how much the value of a multivariable function changes when its input variables change.

2. How is the Jacobian determinant used in mathematics?

The Jacobian determinant is used in many areas of mathematics, including multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. It is particularly useful in solving systems of equations and analyzing the behavior of functions.

3. What is the relationship between the Jacobian determinant and the gradient vector?

The Jacobian determinant can be thought of as the magnitude of the gradient vector. In other words, it measures how steep the slope of a function is at a particular point in multiple dimensions.

4. How is the Jacobian determinant calculated?

The Jacobian determinant can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to each of its input variables and then arranging them in a matrix. The determinant of this matrix is the Jacobian determinant.

5. What is the importance of the Jacobian determinant in physics and engineering?

The Jacobian determinant is used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables. It is particularly useful in areas such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and control theory.