1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobian? Determinant

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Not sure if this is where I should put this but currently im taking math for econ and we are on special determinants (jacobian, Hessian, Bordered Hessian, some Leontiff)

So I have this problem in my notes that I am basically basing my exam studying around since the book isnt the best. It is a Jacobian heading into a hessian but I am more confused about the Jacobian. So this is what I have

z = 2x2 + 4y2 - 2xy + 65 + λ(32-x-y)

zx = 4x - 2y + λ
    zy = 8y - 2x +λ
    zλ = 32-x-y

Then it goes into the matrice and I have written

4 -2 -1 x 0
    -2 -8 -1 y = 0
    -1 -1 0 λ -32

lJl = lAl = -16 ≠ 0 p(a) = 3

Ok so once I have made the matrice (which makes sense to me) I can even find the determinants of the first part. Im just confused how 0 0 -32 came about and also where the last bit which i assume is the final answer means. I can do a 2x2 Jacobian easily its when it is like this that confuses me. What step am I missing. Also if this is the wrong section I apologize feel free to move it. I just googled how to do something and this was where something on determinants was

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2
    Im sorry I just realized that this should be in Homework help. If a moderator would move it please. I am sorry for cluttering yalls forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook