Derivatives of Jacobian Matrices: t^2-s^2, ts

In summary: Just make sure to use the correct notation for the partial derivatives (using subscripts instead of commas). Other than that, your summary is great!In summary, we computed the derivative matrices for the functions x=t^2-s^2 and y=ts. We also expressed (u,v) in terms of (t,s) as u=t^2-s^2 and v=-ts. Then, we evaluated the derivative matrix for (u,v) and found it to be equal to \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right]. Finally, we verified the chain rule by finding the partial derivatives of a function of u and v with respect to t and
jonroberts74
[tex]x=t^2-s^2, y=ts,u=x,v=-y[/tex]

a) compute derivative matrices [tex]\vec{D}f(x,y) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

b) express (u,v) in terms of (t,s)

[tex]f(u(x,y),v(x,y) = (t^2-s^2,-(ts))[/tex]

c) Evaluate [tex]\vec{D}(u,v)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right][/tex]

d) verify if chain rule holdsneed help with this last part, also need to know if I even did the rest correctly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:
[tex]x=t^2-s^2, y=ts,u=x,v=-y[/tex]

a) compute derivative matrices [tex]\vec{D}f(x,y) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

b) express (u,v) in terms of (t,s)

[tex]f(u(x,y),v(x,y) = (t^2-s2,-(ts))[/tex]

c) Evaluate [tex]\vec{D}(u,v)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right][/tex]

d) verify if chain rule holdsneed help with this last part, also need to know if I even did the rest correctly

Part a) looks okay, but the notation is a little rough. Something more like:

[tex]
J_{s, t}(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}
x_s & x_t \\
y_s & y_t
\end{pmatrix}, \quad

J_{x, y}(u,v) = \begin{pmatrix}
u_x & u_y \\
v_x & v_y
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

##J_{s, t}(x,y)## and ##J_{x, y}(u,v)## are the Jacobian matricies.

I'm sure you meant ##u = t^2 - s^2## for part b).

For part c), I'm sure what is intended is you find the derivative matrix ##J_{s, t}(u,v)## after expressing ##u## and ##v## as functions of ##s## and ##t##.

Zondrina said:
Part a) looks okay, but the notation is a little rough. Something more like:

[tex]
J_{s, t}(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}
x_s & x_t \\
y_s & y_t
\end{pmatrix}, \quad

J_{x, y}(u,v) = \begin{pmatrix}
u_x & u_y \\
v_x & v_y
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

##J_{s, t}(x,y)## and ##J_{x, y}(u,v)## are the Jacobian matricies.

I'm sure you meant ##u = t^2 - s^2## for part b).

For part c), I'm sure what is intended is you find the derivative matrix ##J_{s, t}(u,v)## after expressing ##u## and ##v## as functions of ##s## and ##t##.

I fixed the error in (b) and yeah that's what I want for (c), I'm using the notation that is used in my book/what my professor uses

as for part (d) how do I verify this

jonroberts74 said:
I fixed the error in (b) and yeah that's what I want for (c), I'm using the notation that is used in my book/what my professor uses

as for part (d) how do I verify this

For part d), if ##f## is a function of ##u## and ##v##, which are functions of ##x## and ##y##, which are functions of ##s## and ##t##, what is the partial derivative of ##f## with respect to ##u##? How about the partial with respect to ##v##?

[tex] (\frac{\partial f}{\partial u})_{t,s} = 2t,-2s \,\,\, (\frac{\partial f}{\partial v})_{t,s} = -s,-t [/tex]

I know this is kind of an abuse of notation but I've been typing LaTeX all day

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
[tex] (\frac{\partial f}{\partial u})_{t,s} = 2t,-2s \,\,\, (\frac{\partial f}{\partial v})_{t,s} = -s,-t [/tex]

I know this is kind of an abuse of notation but I've been typing LaTeX all day

Looks good.

Likes 1 person

1. What are derivatives of Jacobian matrices?

Derivatives of Jacobian matrices refer to the partial derivatives of a set of functions with respect to a set of variables. In simpler terms, they represent the rate of change of multiple functions with respect to multiple variables.

2. What is the significance of t^2-s^2 and ts in derivatives of Jacobian matrices?

t^2-s^2 and ts are commonly used as examples in derivatives of Jacobian matrices. They represent a set of functions with multiple variables, making them ideal for illustrating the concept of partial derivatives of Jacobian matrices.

3. How do you find the derivatives of t^2-s^2 and ts in Jacobian matrices?

To find the derivatives of t^2-s^2 and ts in Jacobian matrices, you would first need to set up the Jacobian matrix for the set of functions. Then, you would find the partial derivatives of each function with respect to each variable and input them into the matrix. The resulting matrix would represent the derivatives of t^2-s^2 and ts.

4. What are some real-life applications of derivatives of Jacobian matrices?

Derivatives of Jacobian matrices have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to solve optimization problems, analyze systems with multiple variables, and model complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using derivatives of Jacobian matrices?

Like any mathematical tool, derivatives of Jacobian matrices have limitations. They are only applicable to functions that are differentiable and have continuous partial derivatives. Additionally, they can become computationally complex when dealing with a large number of variables and functions.