1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobian matrices

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    [tex]x=t^2-s^2, y=ts,u=x,v=-y[/tex]

a) compute derivative matrices

[tex]\vec{D}f(x,y) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

b) express (u,v) in terms of (t,s)

[tex]f(u(x,y),v(x,y) = (t^2-s^2,-(ts))[/tex]

c) Evaluate [tex]\vec{D}(u,v)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right][/tex]

d) verify if chain rule holds

need help with this last part, also need to know if I even did the rest correctly

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Part a) looks okay, but the notation is a little rough. Something more like:

[tex]
    J_{s, t}(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}
    x_s & x_t \\
    y_s & y_t
    \end{pmatrix}, \quad

J_{x, y}(u,v) = \begin{pmatrix}
    u_x & u_y \\
    v_x & v_y
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

##J_{s, t}(x,y)## and ##J_{x, y}(u,v)## are the Jacobian matricies.

I'm sure you meant ##u = t^2 - s^2## for part b).

For part c), I'm sure what is intended is you find the derivative matrix ##J_{s, t}(u,v)## after expressing ##u## and ##v## as functions of ##s## and ##t##.

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3
    I fixed the error in (b) and yeah thats what I want for (c), I'm using the notation that is used in my book/what my professor uses

as for part (d) how do I verify this

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

For part d), if ##f## is a function of ##u## and ##v##, which are functions of ##x## and ##y##, which are functions of ##s## and ##t##, what is the partial derivative of ##f## with respect to ##u##? How about the partial with respect to ##v##?

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5
    [tex] (\frac{\partial f}{\partial u})_{t,s} = 2t,-2s \,\,\, (\frac{\partial f}{\partial v})_{t,s} = -s,-t [/tex]

I know this is kind of an abuse of notation but I've been typing LaTeX all day

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. Jun 29, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted