Understanding Metamaterials Equations

• Thread starter JasonGodbout
  • Start date
In summary, the metamaterials equation is used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves in engineered materials. The transformation matrix Λ' describes the change in coordinates from the original system to the transformed system, and the Jacobian matrix Λ is used to calculate Λ'. To find the transformed matrix M', the determinant of Λ' is used in the metamaterials equation.
JasonGodbout

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand Metamaterials eqaution but the matrix always have mutiple r'(r) let use an example I saw on the web, this on his in cylindrical coordinate:

##M^{i'} = \frac{1}{det\Lambda'}\Lambda_{i}^{i'}M^{i} ##

##\Lambda'## is de Jacobien

Homework Equations

[/B]
##r' =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{R_{1}r}{R_{2}} & r' \epsilon, [0 , R_1] \\
\frac{(R_{3}-R_{1})r}{R_{3}-R_{2}}+\frac{R_{3}(R_{1}-R_{2})}{R_{3}-R_{2}} & r' \epsilon [R_1 , R_3] \\
r & r' \epsilon [R_3 , \infty
\end{bmatrix}\\##

##M =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{B_{r0}}{\mu_{0}} & r' \epsilon, [0 , R_1] \\
0 & r' \epsilon [R_1 , R_3] \\
0 & r' \epsilon [R_3 , \infty
\end{bmatrix}\\##

The Attempt at a Solution

##Trasformation Matrix =
\begin{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}\frac{R_{1}r}{R_{2}} & \frac{(R_{3}-R_{1})r}{R_{3}-R_{2}}+\frac{R_{3}(R_{1}-R_{2})}{R_{3}-R_{2}} & r\end{bmatrix} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \theta & 0 \\
0 & 0 & z
\end{bmatrix}
##
I guess the Jacobian is :
##\Lambda' =
\begin{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}\frac{R_{1}}{R_{2}} & \frac{R_{3}-R_{1}}{R_{3}-R_{2}} & 1\end{bmatrix} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}\\
##

but then I get 3 determinant (0<r'<R1, R1<r'<R3, r'>R3) and I don't know how to get the answer :
##M' =
\begin{bmatrix}
diag( \frac{R_{2}}{R_{1}}, \frac{R_{2}}{R_{1}}, (\frac{R_{2}}{R_{1}})^2)\frac{B_{r0}}{\mu_{0}} & r' \epsilon, [0 , R_1] \\
0 & r' \epsilon [R_1 , R_3] \\
0 & r' \epsilon [R_3 , \infty
\end{bmatrix}\\
##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It seems like you are having trouble understanding the metamaterials equation and the role of the Jacobian matrix. Let me try to explain it in simpler terms.

The metamaterials equation is used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a material that has been engineered to have unique properties. In this equation, the matrix M represents the material's response to an incident electromagnetic wave, and M' represents the material's response to the same wave after it has been transformed by a certain transformation matrix.

The transformation matrix, denoted by Λ', is used to describe the change in coordinates from the original coordinate system (r, θ, z) to the transformed coordinate system (r', θ', z'). The Jacobian matrix, denoted by Λ, is used to calculate the transformation matrix Λ' and takes into account the change in the coordinates due to the transformation.

In your attempt at a solution, you correctly identified the Jacobian matrix Λ' as a 3x3 matrix. However, the transformation matrix Λ' should also be a 3x3 matrix, and not a 3x1 matrix as you have written. This is because the transformation matrix should have the same number of rows and columns as the Jacobian matrix.

To calculate the determinant of the transformation matrix, you need to take the determinant of each sub-matrix within the transformation matrix. In this case, there are three sub-matrices, one for each region of r' (0<r'<R1, R1<r'<R3, r'>R3). For each sub-matrix, you would use the corresponding values from the Jacobian matrix to calculate the determinant.

Once you have calculated the determinant of the transformation matrix, you can use it in the metamaterials equation to find the transformed matrix M'. I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Keep up the good work in understanding metamaterials!

1. What are metamaterials equations used for?

Metamaterials equations are used to describe the properties and behavior of metamaterials, which are artificially engineered materials with unique properties not found in nature. These equations are essential for understanding how metamaterials interact with electromagnetic waves and other types of energy.

2. How are metamaterials equations different from traditional materials equations?

Metamaterials equations incorporate the unique properties of metamaterials, such as negative refractive index and subwavelength structures, which are not accounted for in traditional materials equations. They also involve complex numbers and non-linear relationships, making them more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What is the role of Maxwell's equations in understanding metamaterials?

Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, are the foundation for understanding how metamaterials interact with electromagnetic waves. Metamaterials equations build upon and extend Maxwell's equations to incorporate the unique properties of metamaterials.

4. How do metamaterials equations impact technology and engineering?

Metamaterials equations have revolutionized technology and engineering by enabling the development of novel devices such as invisibility cloaks, super lenses, and antennas with improved performance. They have also opened up new possibilities for manipulating electromagnetic waves and other types of energy, leading to advancements in fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy harvesting.

5. Are metamaterials equations still a subject of ongoing research?

Yes, metamaterials equations are still a subject of ongoing research as scientists continue to explore and understand the full potential of metamaterials. New discoveries and advancements in the field of metamaterials are constantly being made, and these equations play a crucial role in guiding and shaping this research.