1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobian's Integration

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Jacobian's Integration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an appropriate change of variable in order to evaluate the double integral over R. (Hint:you could find the equations of the boundary lines, and then do the change of variables)

[tex] \int R \int 4(x+y)\exp{x-y} dA [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont understand how I am going to change the variable when I received no region to begin with. I am wondering if this was a mistake on the part of the teacher.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This problem makes no sense unless you are given "R". Perhaps there was a picture to go with the problem?
  4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    There was no picture whatsoever and I like you was dumb-struck. I thought it was just a question which was clearly out of my league but hearing this response lets me know she must have made a mistake. *sighs* ah brotha
  5. Nov 26, 2007 #4
    I looked through some text and I found the problem but this one has the equations
    x = (1/2)(u+v) and y = (1/2)(u-v). But she said we should solve the problem as an indefinite integral so i am now lost.
  6. Nov 26, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really would like to know what the problem really was! From x= (1/2)(u+ v) and y= (1/2)(u- v) we can get u+ v= 2x and u- v= 2y so, adding the equations, 2u= 2x+ 2y and u= x+ y. Subtracting the two equations, 2v= 2x- 2y and v= x- y. I strongly suspect that the original problem was to integrate over a diamond shaped region with boundaries given by x+ y= constant and x- y= constant.
  7. Nov 26, 2007 #6
    yeah she showed us in class today that the problem originally stemmed with a triangular region. But she had expected us to bring some equations out of thin air like u = x+y and v = u-v and find the jacobian and do an indefinite integral.

In case of the triangular area with vertices: (-1 1) (0 0) and (1 1), how would you do a change of variable to make that look like a square or rectangular region in terms of u an v?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?