Jak and Jill Maths problem

• Thread starter 888eddy
  • Start date
In summary, when Jill was one third as old as Jack is now, Jack was one year older than Jill was when Jack was half as old as Jill is now. Using Jill's current age of 22, we can determine that her brother Jack is 44 years old.
888eddy
when Jill was one third as old as Jack is now, Jack was one year older than Jill was when Jack was half as old as Jill is now. Jill is 22, how old is her brother Jack?

this is irritating me and i am set to waste a lot of time unless i find out how its worked out soon.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
888eddy said:
when Jill was one third as old as Jack is now, Jack was one year older than Jill was when Jack was half as old as Jill is now. Jill is 22, how old is her brother Jack?

this is irritating me and i am set to waste a lot of time unless i find out how its worked out soon.

Maybe writing it like this might help
Jill(to)=22
Jill(Jack(to)/3)+1=Jack(Jill(to)/2)

Jill(t)=22+(t-to)

Therefore

22+(Jack(to/3))-to+1=Jack(11)

Jack=Jack(to)+(t-to)

Solve for Jack(to)

Hey there,

John Creighto has knocked it on the head. However, in words, consider the sentences separately with respect to how old they used to be at a simple point in time, e.g. when Jill was younger (a third of Jack now), what is the equation that gives the age of Jack at that same point in time. Then you can equate the two.

The Bob

What is the Jak and Jill Maths problem?

The Jak and Jill Maths problem is a common math problem that involves two people, Jak and Jill, who are trying to solve a mathematical equation together.

What is the equation in the Jak and Jill Maths problem?

The equation in the Jak and Jill Maths problem is typically a basic algebraic equation, such as 2x + 3 = 9. However, the specific equation may vary depending on the version of the problem.

What is the purpose of the Jak and Jill Maths problem?

The purpose of the Jak and Jill Maths problem is to test a person's ability to solve basic algebraic equations and to understand the concept of solving equations collaboratively.

How do you solve the Jak and Jill Maths problem?

To solve the Jak and Jill Maths problem, you can follow these steps:
1. Identify the equation and the unknown variable.
2. Use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.
3. Substitute the value of the variable from one person's solution into the equation.
4. Solve for the variable to find the final answer.

What are some tips for solving the Jak and Jill Maths problem?

Some tips for solving the Jak and Jill Maths problem include:
- Carefully read the problem and identify the equation and the unknown variable.
- Use algebraic techniques, such as combining like terms and using inverse operations, to isolate the variable.
- Check your work by substituting your answer into the original equation to ensure it is correct.
- Practice solving similar problems to improve your skills.