Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

James Randi

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Slashdot is reporting
    "James Randi Posts $1M Award On Speaker Cables"
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/07/10/04/1354224.shtml

http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-09/092807reply.html#i4
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/speaker-cables/7250-speaker-cables-turn-you-into-a-dancin-fool-302478.php
    http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2
    There isn't any way to prove one is better than the other since sound quality is objective. However, as the owner of overpriced speaker cable (although not nearly this overpriced), an improvement in audio quality is very achievable by upgrading connections. Feeding a $50 speaker with a $7,000 cable or a $2 cable makes no difference, but if the speaker is say...$30,000 then there would be a huge difference. Not even Mr. Randi could dispute that.

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Human hearing has its limits, but gullibility has none"

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Oh for the love of...$7,250 for cables? NASA doesn't even pay that price for wiring. There is a sucker born every minute. Whoever did those reviews needs to be shot.

6. Oct 4, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The good ones are the 'power cleaners' that reconfigure your mains power!
    Of course you can't hear the difference straight away because your equipement has to relearn how to work on the clean power so you have to use them for a few weeks to hear any difference.

7. Oct 4, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say I have ever heard that one. You would think that claims like that would raise some red flags to pretty much anyone.

8. Oct 4, 2007 #7
  9. Oct 4, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I decided long ago that hard core audiofiles are all imagining things. :biggrin:

10. Oct 4, 2007 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

while sitting on the couch with a laptop I lost control.. It (the laptop) went bonkers, when I got it all back the title to this thread hqd been deleted! I just barely saw it, I know it was about James Blandi. Sorry for the disruption!

Ok, I now have my contacts in and have corrected my other error. It is Randi, not Blandi....sheesh Murphy has me by the....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  11. Oct 4, 2007 #10
    I've bought Monster S-Video Cable, 30ft for $30 on ebay :)

12. Oct 4, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I have only owned one Monster Cable. It was a free upgrade for my fairly pricey vocal mike. No biggie, but it was a nice heavy cable that resisted tangling on stage.

I have a pretty impressive stereo, and my speakers are fed through the largest-diameter zip-cord that will fit in the connectors. Having built, restored, and repaired quite a number of tube amps over the years, I can tell you that the speaker wire is about the last thing I'd lose sleep over. Much more important is the quality of the components early on in the signal chain, because signal degradation cause by such components gets amplified over and over again.

13. Oct 4, 2007 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAY01/EQUIP/equip1MAY01.html only $2000.
    They were even testing them on a CD transport!
    ( a cd player that puts out the digital data stream for the amp to turn into analogue.)

14. Oct 4, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if Randi considered that it would be cheaper to buy the $7250 cable and find out for himself if it's any better than to pay someone else $1 million for their opinion.

15. Oct 4, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Randi isn't a dummy. I think his money is pretty safe. Like I said, I've spent a lot of time and effort fixing up tube amps. Randi is safe and the chislers are dead.

16. Oct 4, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO, Randi owes the decendents of Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen, one million dollars.

17. Oct 4, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That, or he's a partner in the company selling the cables and stands to make more than $1million if people are inspired by this scheme to run out and buy these cables just to see if they can get $1 million for just a $7250 investment. :biggrin:

18. Oct 11, 2007 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I was laughing about this with an EE friend of mine from NY. He just sent me a link to this story from EDN news (make sure to press "skip add" if the story doesn't pop up):

http://www.edn.com/blog/1700000170/post/1150015315.html

They also mention a couple other dandies that have come from the audiophile ranks. My new personal favorite is the cryogenic outlets.

19. Oct 11, 2007 #18
    "Imagination without knowledge is ignorance waiting to happen."

Einstein et. al actually knew stuff and where pretty skilled at what they did. I find it hard to accept this here.

20. Oct 11, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My point is that entanglement might as well be called supernatural. We certainly don't have a mechanism to explain it, and I think it qualifies by any standard that Randi uses for his sham prize.

21. Oct 11, 2007 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think you mean subjective, but in any case, you can always do a double-blind taste-test and see which tests better. I'd also be willing to bet money (not a million dollars) that the difference is not statistically significant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?