January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Storm
In summary, the pictures on Scherrer's website show the aftermath of a January 2005 ice storm in Geneva, Switzerland. The pictures are of nature at its beautiful and destructive side. One of the pictures on the website has been clarified to show that it is not an ice storm but a snow storm with 70 mph winds. The pictures show cars and trees covered in ice. The pictures also show the snow and ice covering the campus of the office where the person who sent the pictures works.
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some other pictures of the storm's aftermath. What's missing in the photo from the Scherrer website? It could just be the angle of the photos and Scherrer could have decided to photograph all of the cars except the van, but could the owner of the van have actually moved it? Or was his van towed for parking the wrong way?

And, actually, it wasn't an ice storm. It was a storm with 70 mph winds and the ice is from the waves. A little further away from the lakeside, like across the street, and there's no ice to be seen (but that's definitely the fattest car antenna I've ever seen :rofl: And is that a police officer writing a parking ticket for the van standing next to the tree?)

Someone did send me a Powerpoint presentation of similar pictures.

I just thought the pictures were cool. What is the deal with people that snopes had to clarify this event?

Another site with pictures - http://isdc.unige.ch/~muflon/gallery/2/5/1/index.html .

Also another cool picture from snopes - http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/flowers.asp :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this phenomena from Snopes:

A mud puddle shaped like Australia

:uhh: Of course it's shaped like Australia - it is Australia.

Oh, wait, they probably mean the picture on the right. :redface:

I just keep thinking of the TV show Cheers. Didn't Cliff have a potato shaped like something famous?

Yeah, well it looks somewhat like Australia, but the part corresponding to the Cape York Peninsula looks a bit too wide. :rolleyes:

Those pics look sort of like my campus right now. We had a lot of rain and sleet and snow today. wasn't quite that cold though. but now everything is covered in a thin layer of ice. you can walk anywhere any more, you slide.

Astronuc said:
What is the deal with people that snopes had to clarify this event?
One of the guys in our office got an e-mail with the pics (I got a powerpoint) but his e-mail said it was Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I think that wass what was the mix up they looked into. Plus, I thought for a few seconds that it could be faked. You never know these days.

What caused the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva?

The January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva was caused by a combination of factors, including a low-pressure system that brought cold air from the north, high moisture levels in the atmosphere, and a sharp drop in temperatures.

How much damage was caused by the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva?

The total damage caused by the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva was estimated to be over $2 billion. This included damage to infrastructure, homes, and businesses.

Were there any casualties from the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva?

Unfortunately, there were several casualties from the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva. At least 10 people lost their lives due to the storm, mainly from accidents on icy roads and falling trees.

What were the effects of the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva on the environment?

The January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva had a significant impact on the environment. Many trees and plants were damaged or destroyed, and there was also damage to wildlife habitats. The storm also caused power outages, which disrupted daily life for both humans and animals.

How did the January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva impact the local economy?

The January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva had a major impact on the local economy. Businesses were forced to close due to power outages and damage, and many people were unable to work. The cost of repairs and clean-up also had a significant financial impact on the community.