Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

January 2005 Ice Storm in Geneva

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's some other pictures of the storm's aftermath. What's missing in the photo from the Scherrer website? It could just be the angle of the photos and Scherrer could have decided to photograph all of the cars except the van, but could the owner of the van have actually moved it? Or was his van towed for parking the wrong way?

And, actually, it wasn't an ice storm. It was a storm with 70 mph winds and the ice is from the waves. A little further away from the lakeside, like across the street, and there's no ice to be seen (but that's definitely the fattest car antenna I've ever seen :rofl: And is that a police officer writing a parking ticket for the van standing next to the tree?)

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3

Astronuc

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about this phenomena from Snopes:

A mud puddle shaped like Australia

:uhh: Of course it's shaped like Australia - it is Australia.

Oh, wait, they probably mean the picture on the right. :redface:

I just keep thinking of the TV show Cheers. Didn't Cliff have a potato shaped like something famous?

6. Dec 16, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Yeah, well it looks somewhat like Australia, but the part corresponding to the Cape York Peninsula looks a bit too wide. :rolleyes:

7. Dec 16, 2005 #6
    Those pics look sort of like my campus right now. We had a lot of rain and sleet and snow today. wasn't quite that cold though. but now everything is covered in a thin layer of ice. you can walk anywhere any more, you slide.

8. Dec 17, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

One of the guys in our office got an e-mail with the pics (I got a powerpoint) but his e-mail said it was Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I think that wass what was the mix up they looked into. Plus, I thought for a few seconds that it could be faked. You never know these days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?