Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Japan battles the old man smell

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Japan battles "the old man smell"

Something weird I heard about on the radio this morning.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japans_aging_population_deals_with_old_man_smell_16746

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Nonenal

:eek:

Gee, I would have thought they were just talking about Ben Gay and Grecian formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

neu

Re: Japan battles "the old man smell"

Maybe it's nature's way of stopping old men from procreating. Luckily there are women like Heather Mills who can see past such superficialities.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

That's really interesting. I wonder if anyone's done any studies on whether some people are more sensitive to it than other people. We used to have a part-time worker who was 69 years old, and one of the younger women in our office (she's 23) always complained that the first woman "smelled like an old person". The 23-year-old found it really and truly off-putting.

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know I can smell it. I'm 24 if that makes a difference.

6. Aug 7, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think I have ever noticed anything. I worked in a nursing home when I was a teenager and was around elderly folks a lot. I don't recall noticing anything then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?