Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Japan only for the Japanese

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Personally, I think that the Japanese should have the right to let whoever they want into their country. If this means no one, then so be it.

One supposedly negative effect from not allowing in immigrants is that the population will decrease. However, Japan has only a small amount of area, and yet 100 million+ people. It is already massivlely overcrowded. However, they are missing out on the positive economic benefits which immigration allows, such as a high proportion of working age people.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, but it would be in order to change the racist laws against the native Ainu population

4. Jul 29, 2004 #3
    Yes I agree there should be no inherintly racist laws. There are about 15000 of these people and I had not even heard about their plight.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  5. Aug 10, 2004 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't there some migration into Japan? For example, those of Japanese descent, currently living in Brazil, Peru, ...? What about the Filipino 'mail brides' for poor rural men? There's certainly a degree of illegal immigration, from China for example, and 'sex workers' (some of whom are slaves).

6. Aug 10, 2004 #5
    Very very little. The non Japanese population in Japan is 1%. And 0.6% of it is Koreans who were taken there for forced labor during the colonization period of Korea. Also non Japanese tend to be ill treated and heavily discriminated against in Japan. Far more so than minority groups in America or Europe.

7. Aug 10, 2004 #6
    Are you sure?

A lot of them seem to really like Americans...or at least a part of their culture.

8. Aug 11, 2004 #7
    I think that the Filipine mail brides propably dont go to poor rural men, they more likely go to the older richer sort. In my experience people living in rural areas can get wives pretty easily as men are more likely to emmigrate to the city.

9. Aug 11, 2004 #8

It is the authorities which discriminate against the gaijins. However, there is quite a lot of publicity about the the much higher crime rate of the immigrants. This, even though the immigrants are korean and chinese, and have a very low rate of crime in western countries. Imagine the misery if they had the blacks with their high crime rates as discussed in another thread.

10. Aug 11, 2004 #9
    It varies I suppose. There's a lot that's genuinely interested and curious about Americans. But there seems to still be plenty that will also discriminate against them and look down on them.

11. Aug 11, 2004 #10
    Japan will never allow Black immigration. The Japanese might look down upon a lot of different ethnic groups but none more so than Blacks. After WWII and the military occupation of Japan by American soldiers, there was a certain amount of Japanese women fathered by Black American soldiers. The Japanese sent these kids along with their Japanese mother to Brazil.

Keep in mind these are people that frown upon and heavily discriminates against even Koreans and Chinese. People that would be virtually genetically identical and indistinguishable from them. Now imagine how they would treat people that would actually look different than them.

12. Aug 11, 2004 #11
    As a Quebecois, I can't believe I'm saying this. The Japanese have no reason to look down on the US. If it wasn't for the US supporting them after WWII, I doubt Japan would be as strong as they are in the electronics and vehicle manufacturing business. The US didn't have to give them a ton of money after dropping the bomb, but they did. And Japan is as strong as ever economically right now.

And the Koreans and Chinese discriminate against the Japanese. And the Chinese discriminate the Koreans - they don't really like each other. I've noticed that the most discrimination is against Koreans.

They aren't indistinguishable. It's quite easy to tell them apart if you've seen a lot of them, by behavior, the way they dress, their face and hair.

I'm almost never wrong when I have to distinguish between Chinese, Korean and Japanese.

13. Aug 11, 2004 #12

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, these are the 'official' figures; the extent of illegal immigration into Japan is difficult to assess. However, as a discerning visitor to a large Japanese city will soon notice, there are not a few 'foreigners' living in Japan (probably not as citizens!); the waiters in Chinese restaurants who speak the Shanghai dialect fluently, for example; the teachers of (spoken) English; ... An earlier era also saw an influx of foreign genes, which may be continuing to this day - occupation armies always seem to produce those sorts of results.

14. Aug 11, 2004 #13

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may be right; AFAIK, the poor rural farmers can't get local women to marry them (they prefer to escape to the cities, as you say), and these men have very limited opportunity to leave their farms. The Filipino women see an opportunity to escape desparate poverty at home ...

15. Aug 11, 2004 #14
    Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Besides, the Japanese believe they are intellectually and culturally superior to everyone else.

It would be a complete mistake to say that Japan got it's economical strength because of America. Japan was already an economically strong country BEFORE WWII.

They all discriminate against each other. Koreans against Chinese, Japanese. Chinese against Koreans, Japanese. Japanese against Chinese, Korean. I wouldn't say the most discrimination is against Koreans, it seems to be quite even. Asians never seemed to be able to intermingle the way Europe has.

Here'a a site that will test your ability. You give it a shot. http://www.alllooksame.com

Well then we should expect a perfect score out of you correct? Most Asians will tell you that they do not have the ability to tell them apart and you're telling me you can?

Can you also tell a person from Eastern China to someone from Western China? How about Eastern coast China to Manchuria China? Not to mention much of Manchuria China used to be part of the Korean Empire. And Korea was under both Chinese and Japanese rule. The descendants of Japanese is said to be from mainland China and Korea as well. There have been attempts by both China and Japan in the past to merge the area now designated as Korea into their own country and eliminate the Korean language and replace it with their own. And China is a whole bunch of ancient little countries that formed one country. With all these facts taken into consideration, you are telling me your accuracy is near 100% in telling someone from these 3 groups apart?

Ask a Korean, how many times he's been mistaken for Japanese or Chinese, among both Asians and non Asians. Ask a Japanese, how many times he's been mistaken for Korean or Chinese, among both Asians and non Asians.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  16. Aug 11, 2004 #15
    Your comments seem very neutral. i like them.

17. Aug 12, 2004 #16
    I do not know what AFAIK, but my point was precisely the opposite. The women are less likely to emmigrate to the city because they are less ambitious/ adventurous and are more likely to prefer to stay in the areas they know. This is why there are more women in rural areas.

18. Aug 12, 2004 #17
    Japan got powerful to dominate their area of the world by copying the European inventions. They already had a hard working motivated organised society and so they took to it relativly easily.

I doubt this. Eventually they will have the same political correctness which the western countries have. If only for 10 years, but by then the african immigrants will be settled.

19. Aug 12, 2004 #18

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Far As I Know :wink:

Is that how it works in the US? If so, then maybe it is quite different in Japan - perhaps something to do with inheritance of land (sons only) and barriers to selling it?

20. Aug 12, 2004 #19

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One curious thing - firearms were introduced into Japan as early as the time of the Portuguese 'black ships', but when Perry did his thing centuries later, he found that 'arms' meant swords, bows&arrows, etc; apparently firearms were not adopted, despite their clear advantage in terms of lethality at a distance.

Lots of examples like this throughout the world, throughout history - including in European history. Maybe the US will enter such a period before too long too?

21. Aug 12, 2004 #20
    No, I noticed that the Chinese and Japanese get extremely offended when you call them "Korean". The Chinese have many discrimnatory names for Koreans due to their behavior. You'd be much better off mistaking a Chinese for Japenese than Korean.

Yes, especially by the way they talk and dress.

On that one, I missed three. I'm sure I'd get them if I talked to each person.

In places like British Columbia, it's really quite simple to tell them apart, especially Koreans by behavior.

I'm Chinese.

I've only been mistaken to be Korean by Koreans, or cacausian strangers.

Never has a Chinese went up to me and insisted I was Korean. The only thing close was when a Chinese person went up to me and started speaking Mandarin. And even then - knew I was Chinese.

No Japanese person has ever come up to me and assumed I was Japanese.

It's even easier to tell who's from Hong Kong, and who's not. By their behavior and the way they dress.

Edit: #10 was mixed - that's not fair.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?