Japan PM denounces terror threat

• News
  • Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Japan
In summary, the Japanese prime minister has denounced terrorist threats to burn alive three hostages as cowardly. He has vowed troops will stay in Iraq despite tearful pleas from the captives' families to bow to the gunmen's demands. Officials acknowledged, however, that they had few other options.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Just read this on Freeserve...

Japan PM denounces terror threat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan's prime minister Junichiro Koizumi has denounced terrorist threats to burn alive three hostages as "cowardly".

And he has vowed troops will stay in Iraq despite tearful pleas from the captives' families to bow to the gunmen's demands.

"We want to do everything we can to see that he comes home," said Naoko Imai, whose 18-year-old son, Noriaki, was among the captives. "I want the government to pull the troops out."

But as the drama unfolded and tested Japan's commitment to the US-led coalition, there was little Koizumi could do except remain defiant.

"We cannot give into the cowardly threats of terrorists," he said. "Right now what we need to do is gather accurate information and bring them home safely."

Television networks repeatedly aired dramatic video footage of the two aid workers Imai and Nahoko Takato, 34, and photojournalist Soichiro Koriyama, 32.

Koizumi called an emergency meeting of his Cabinet and created a task force to co-ordinate a response.

He also ordered a senior foreign ministry official to co-ordinate rescue efforts from Jordan. The prime minister is expected to make a strong request for help from the United States when vice president Dick Cheney visits this weekend.

Officials acknowledged, however, that they had few other options.

Yasuo Fukuda, the Cabinet's chief spokesman and head of the emergency task force, confirmed the government had "absolutely no contact" with the hostage-takers, a previously unknown group calling itself the "Mujahideen Squadrons". He stressed that accepting the withdrawal demand was not under consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, the deadline was today/yesterday, and I am relieved and glad to say that some Muslim clerics persuaded the terrorists to let the hostages go.

Well, it is the policy of most nations not to bow down to terrorists demands. If kidnapping is politically motivated then it is very, very difficult to negotiate the hostages. The kidnappers demands are usually vague and involve different types of government. If it's for financial gain then it's much simpler. Look at what happened to Daniel Pearl, the kidnappers did not demand any ransom money, it was purely for political reasons. They wanted to make a point.

Last edited:
I know they promised to let them go, but I just heard on CNN that they still had not been released. They also have an American whom they are promising to treat even worse than the four contractors (whose car was bombed?/burned and the remains dragged through the streets). They let a guy from England go, but the may have seven Chinese people. It's sure getting uglier over there.

Bravo Japan. Glad to see they have not gone gutless.

And yes, before someone hops on me about it, I would prefer my country not be shamed,or a precident set, and even think about pulling troops out for me and 2 others. Let me die, but don't allow those that did it to go unpunished.

1. What is the context of the Japan PM's denouncement of a terror threat?

The Japan PM's statement was in response to a reported threat from the Islamic State (ISIS) targeting the country. This threat came after the Japanese government announced its plans to provide humanitarian aid to countries affected by ISIS.

2. Has Japan been the target of terrorist attacks in the past?

Yes, Japan has been the target of terrorist attacks in the past. In 1995, a sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway was carried out by a religious cult, killing 12 people and injuring thousands. In 2015, a Japanese journalist was beheaded by ISIS militants in Syria.

3. What actions has the Japan PM taken in response to the terror threat?

The Japan PM has condemned the threat and stated that the country will not give in to terrorism. The government has also increased security measures and surveillance in key locations. Japanese citizens have been advised to stay vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the authorities.

4. Is Japan a likely target for terrorist attacks?

While Japan has not been a primary target for terrorist attacks in the past, the country has been listed as a potential target by terrorist organizations due to its alliance with the United States and its involvement in international conflicts. However, the Japanese government has taken steps to prevent and respond to potential threats.

5. How does the Japan PM's denouncement impact the country's relationship with other nations?

The Japan PM's denouncement of the terror threat showcases the country's firm stance against terrorism. This can potentially strengthen its relationships with other nations and demonstrate its commitment to international security. However, it may also cause tensions with countries that have been targeted by ISIS in the past, as Japan's involvement in providing aid to these countries could make it a potential target for retaliation.

Back