Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Japan's Taiji Cove: Dolphin Hell

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    250 dolphins await slaughter, lifetime of captivity at Japan's Taiji Cove
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/18/world/asia/japan-dolphin-hunt/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

If anyone has seen the documentry "The Cove" they will be well versed in this practice. Truly horrible.

What a crock of crap. Just because it's legal and traditional doesn't make it moral.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can't read this, too upsetting. The lack of care about life of some cultures is just too offensive to me. Tradition in hunting means that old ways should be abandoned for more humane and beneficial methods. We stopped sacrifices a long time ago for good reason.

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3
    Making it about "some cultures" vs. "we" isn't exactly fair though.

**Annoying internet guy playing devil's advocate alert**

We slaughter plenty of cows over here, our circuses terribly abuse their animals, and Greg recently made a thread about animals in captivity at Seaworld (somebody must be buying the dolphins from the Japanese...). We're so good at not caring about life that we can spin a story about hunting rhinos for sport into a positive thing.

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4

russ_watters

Though I vaguely remember hearing of this annual event before, at face value I see zero in the article of real concern except for CNN's shockingly poor judgement in essentially forwarding an eco-terrorist organization's press release as if it were a news story. Absolutely everything in the article except for the non sequitur on whale hunting is sensationalism of what could otherwise be mundane fishing and capture operations.

Yes, we kill and eat dolphins.
    Yes, we capture dolphins and put them in zoos.

6. Jan 21, 2014 #5
    Russ watch "The Cove".

7. Jan 21, 2014 #6

russ_watters

I've put it in my Netflix que, however I really shouldn't have to watch it as a prerequisite for participating in this thread. If there is something unseemly going on in The Cove it shouldn't take watching a 90 minute video to convey it. The article should be able to convey it itself.

8. Jan 21, 2014 #7
    I read the synopsis in the wiki but the documentary doesn't seem to change the bottom line...
    How is this any different from salmon farming in the US? There was 1,433,708 tons of atlantic salmon harvested in '07 -compared to 250 dolphin it does seem a rather large number...moreover salmon farming does create significant ecological issues.
    So my question would be has this practice done anything to affect the ecosystem? The only relevant objection seems to be the mercury levels in the meat...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  9. Jan 21, 2014 #8

Well, you know that and the fact that dolphins are a *LOT* smarter than salmon.

(and for the record I am a proponent of hunting)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  10. Jan 21, 2014 #9
    Pigs are one of the smarter animals too. We still kill them.

11. Jan 21, 2014 #10
    Have you ever had dolphin? It is nowhere near as delicious as bacon.

12. Jan 21, 2014 #11
    Getting down to the bare bones facts the Taiji dolphin kill is all about money. According to the town history the so called tradition only goes back forty five years.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic...uts-spotlight-on-changing-economics-of-hunts/

13. Jan 21, 2014 #12

russ_watters

No, but I've heard that. And they're cuter! (though teacup pigs are pretty cute too).

14. Jan 21, 2014 #13

russ_watters

Well of course it is! These days very little fishing is done for food* and those who fish as a hobby often just do it for fun and don't eat what they catch.

*By which I mean the people catching the fish don't eat the fish, they sell them.

15. Jan 21, 2014 #14
    I don't believe dolphins are fish

16. Jan 21, 2014 #15

russ_watters

Neither are pigs, but both are food, pets and service animals. That's why I'm struggling to find something wrong with the capture and killing of dolphins.

I don't think it is relevant to the issue to nitpick the use of the term "fishing" as a description of how you catch dolphins, but honestly I have no idea what the appropriate word is.

17. Jan 21, 2014 #16
    I guess this is going to turn into where do you cross the line? Do you think there is one? Is anything but humans open game?

18. Jan 21, 2014 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I concur.

I would expand on this, but it's time for bed.

19. Jan 22, 2014 #18
    Is the problem killing dolphins, or how they are killed? If they were lined up in a chute and killed quickly with a blow to the head one by one, would people be less upset?

I have a problem with killing dolphins just like I have a problem with killing dogs. If the process was more humane (e.g. less violent) I would have to allow them to continue. My problem is with the methods they are using. I don't have a problem with them eating dolphins just like some cultures eat dog. I just know that I personally would not kill and eat dolphins.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  20. Jan 22, 2014 #19
    The wiki article says:
    The following day, fishermen enter the bay in small boats, and the dolphins are caught one at a time and killed. The primary method of dispatch was for a long time to cut the dolphin's throat, severing blood vessels, and death was due to exsanguination. However, the government banned this method and now the officially sanctioned method requires that a metal pin be driven into the cervical region ("neck") of the dolphin, severing its brainstem, which causes it to die within seconds, according to a memo from Senzo Uchida, the executive secretary of the Japan Cetacean Conference on Zoological Gardens and Aquariums*

*Relevant citation:
    http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/oct2005/2005-10-07-06.asp

21. Jan 22, 2014 #20
    Honestly, If they are doing what they can to reduce the suffering of the animals, then I can not pass judgement. I would rather they didn't, but I am not going to remain a meat eater and criticize what they are doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook