Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jars of coins

1. I use to have one

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. I have one right now!

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. My family has one but i think it's stupid

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. I throw my loose change in the trash

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. May 5, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Did any of you ever have/still have a jar or something where you toss loose change in? I remember my family having one for a while when i was younger.... that idea didn't last very long at all.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2
    I don't have anything, although my brother-in-law has a three foot tall, one foot wide jar filled with quarters.

4. May 5, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

are you serious.....

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    Yup. He's got enough change to last out every apocolypse Hollywood has ever made a movie of.

6. May 5, 2006 #5
    My money jar is the top of my computer desk :smile:

7. May 5, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I bet theres thousands of dollars in there.

What's his address

8. May 5, 2006 #7
    Would you actually want to pick up and move that jar? :surprised Maybe you can convince Cyrus to try, and then laugh as his back breaks from the effort.

9. May 5, 2006 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to throw my change into a cake pan, but that was when I was single. If I did that now, my wife would just take it!

Here in Canada, with our loonies and toonies, change adds up quicky. A couple of days ago, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a handful of change that summed to over $20.

Regards,
    George

10. May 5, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

We have one for pennies - when it gets full, we take it to the bank.

We have another for quarters.

My son collects whatever he can get his hands on. With him around, there is not spare change! :biggrin: There are no loose bills either.

11. May 5, 2006 #10
    How large are your pockets, and just how much did that weigh? I don't think I could fit twenty dollars in change in my pockets.

12. May 5, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Dawguard, Loonies and Twoonies are, respectively, one and two dollar coins. We don't have smaller paper money than 5's, and there's a $5 coin in the works. I was quite delighted to pay my bar tab with pocket change a couple of weeks ago, and I'm a heavy drinker. It was about $45.

13. May 5, 2006 #12
    I have one myself, my grandma has one for me, my parents have one for me, and my uncle also has one for me :D

There's usually about $27 in each, before I go to a bank. Once I brought all of them together and there was more than a 100$ it was pretty heavy. Now I decided to keep up 'til I collect $500.

Tell'em that some fellow from PF accepts donations of any kind. I'd be glad to have a jar.

14. May 5, 2006 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just standard 501 jeans.

$20 = 7 toonies + 6 loonies, which is only 13 (somewhat large) coins.

Edit: I see Danger beat me to it. I still sometimes pay pizza delivery guys with change, which they certainly don't mind.

Regards,
    George

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  15. May 5, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A $1 coin in mass circulation would be pretty sweet over here in the US!

16. May 5, 2006 #15
    No, it would not. Paper money is better.

17. May 5, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

you ruined my thread. CYRUS CLOSED!!!

18. May 5, 2006 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course any opinion on this is subjective, but I know from where you're coming. Before loonies came out, I was quite vocal in opposition, but now I quite like loonies and toomies.

Regards,
    George

19. May 5, 2006 #18
    I hate your looney-tunes. I had a pocket full of change because you guys don't have $1 bills, im sorry, its stupid. You end up with pockets full of metal change, and I can't stand that.

20. May 5, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Actually yah come to think of it, having a bunch of $1 coins in my pocket would be annoying since i ALWAYS have some $1s on me (shut up), but only have change on me when i know im going to need it.

21. May 5, 2006 #20
    You always have some 1 on you? I hope shes cute, more than likely, she's not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?