Tossing Loose Change in a Jar: Tales from Childhood

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the jar my family had was a waste of money and my brother-in-law's is filled with quarters.

Do you have a money jar?

• I use to have one

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I have one right now!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • My family has one but i think it's stupid

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I throw my loose change in the trash

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Did any of you ever have/still have a jar or something where you toss loose change in? I remember my family having one for a while when i was younger... that idea didn't last very long at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have anything, although my brother-in-law has a three foot tall, one foot wide jar filled with quarters.

Dawguard said:
I don't have anything, although my brother-in-law has a three foot tall, one foot wide jar filled with quarters.

are you serious...

Pengwuino said:
are you serious...
Yup. He's got enough change to last out every apocolypse Hollywood has ever made a movie of.

My money jar is the top of my computer desk :smile:

Dawguard said:
Yup. He's got enough change to last out every apocolypse Hollywood has ever made a movie of.

I bet there's thousands of dollars in there.

What's his address

Pengwuino said:
I bet there's thousands of dollars in there.

What's his address
Would you actually want to pick up and move that jar? Maybe you can convince Cyrus to try, and then laugh as his back breaks from the effort.

I used to throw my change into a cake pan, but that was when I was single. If I did that now, my wife would just take it!

Here in Canada, with our loonies and toonies, change adds up quicky. A couple of days ago, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a handful of change that summed to over $20.

Regards,
George

We have one for pennies - when it gets full, we take it to the bank.

We have another for quarters.

My son collects whatever he can get his hands on. With him around, there is not spare change! :biggrin: There are no loose bills either.

George Jones said:
A couple of days ago, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a handful of change that summed to over $20.

Regards,
George
How large are your pockets, and just how much did that weigh? I don't think I could fit twenty dollars in change in my pockets.

Dawguard, Loonies and Twoonies are, respectively, one and two dollar coins. We don't have smaller paper money than 5's, and there's a $5 coin in the works. I was quite delighted to pay my bar tab with pocket change a couple of weeks ago, and I'm a heavy drinker. It was about $45.

I have one myself, my grandma has one for me, my parents have one for me, and my uncle also has one for me :D

There's usually about $27 in each, before I go to a bank. Once I brought all of them together and there was more than a 100$ it was pretty heavy. Now I decided to keep up 'til I collect $500.

Tell'em that some fellow from PF accepts donations of any kind. I'd be glad to have a jar.

Dawguard said:
How large are your pockets, and just how much did that weigh? I don't think I could fit twenty dollars in change in my pockets.

Just standard 501 jeans.

$20 = 7 toonies + 6 loonies, which is only 13 (somewhat large) coins.

Edit: I see Danger beat me to it. I still sometimes pay pizza delivery guys with change, which they certainly don't mind.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
A $1 coin in mass circulation would be pretty sweet over here in the US!

No, it would not. Paper money is better.

cyrusabdollahi said:

you ruined my thread. CYRUS CLOSED!

cyrusabdollahi said:

Of course any opinion on this is subjective, but I know from where you're coming. Before loonies came out, I was quite vocal in opposition, but now I quite like loonies and toomies.

Regards,
George

I hate your looney-tunes. I had a pocket full of change because you guys don't have $1 bills, I am sorry, its stupid. You end up with pockets full of metal change, and I can't stand that.

Actually yah come to think of it, having a bunch of $1 coins in my pocket would be annoying since i ALWAYS have some $1s on me (shut up), but only have change on me when i know I am going to need it.

You always have some 1 on you? I hope she's cute, more than likely, she's not.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I hope she's cute, more than likely, she's not.
If he can get her for a buck, I figure she's got to be pretty damned ugly. :yuck:

I knew i shouldn't have said anything...

This was a lousy poll. None of the options really fit. I put quarters, dimes, and nickels in a slot in my jeep so I have them when I need them. Pennies, I fling at the ceiling, embedding them in the ceiling tiles.

BobG said:
This was a lousy poll. None of the options really fit. I put quarters, dimes, and nickels in a slot in my jeep so I have them when I need them. Pennies, I fling at the ceiling, embedding them in the ceiling tiles.

What kind of strange world do you live in. Haven't you ever heard of hte "coin jar"?

I put the change in the slot in my car too. Great minds think alike.

Even BobG does not like you pengwuino, a new all time low for you..

my family has one but I think it's stupid...paper money is better...though it comes in handy sometimes because the !@#$%^&*()!@# Gatorade machine at school nstopped taking paper money :grumpy:

i have a jar, I've never been able to take it to the bank though. I've been collecting all year and i have less now than i did when i started... i don't spend much money to begin with, so i never carry much or get much change. then if i have any in my jar, i use it for laundry or snacks late at night. all i have left is a few pennies now..

Now, since my parents are away, I'm going to spend some jar fortune on tomorrow's breakfast. Heh, I'd find pretty funny to pay for bread with pennies.

I don't have a jar, but I have a bowl that some change makes it into, the car ashtray gets more (that's where I usually need change, for parking meters...got in the habit when I lived in NJ and also needed it for tolls...that was before EZ Pass). The rest ends up strewn about coffee tables, kitchen counters, dressers, and the top of the dryer (after I fish it out of the washer)...that is what isn't weighing my purse down...every so often I end up paying for something with an awful lot of coins just to get rid of the things).

It goes in the garbge.
It's just useless metal that our government waste:grumpy:

scott1 said:
It goes in the garbge.
It's just useless metal that our government waste:grumpy:

Oh boy, keep them. If I'm around your town, I'll pick'em up from you. Don't waste the useless metal,

heartless said:
Oh boy, keep them. If I'm around your town, I'll pick'em up from you. Don't waste the useless metal,
Sure. but I usually melt them done and use it for a...secert project I'am working on...

Always have to keep a good pocket full of Loonies and quarters for the pool table. :biggrin:

What is "Tossing Loose Change in a Jar: Tales from Childhood" about?

"Tossing Loose Change in a Jar: Tales from Childhood" is a collection of personal stories and memories from the author's childhood. It explores themes of nostalgia, family, and the small moments that shape our lives.

Why is the act of tossing loose change in a jar significant?

Tossing loose change in a jar is a common childhood activity that holds sentimental value for many people. It represents the innocence and simplicity of childhood and can bring back fond memories of saving up for something special.

What inspired the author to write this book?

The author was inspired to write this book as a way to preserve and share their childhood memories with others. They also wanted to capture the universal experience of growing up and the impact that small moments can have on our lives.

Are the stories in this book based on real events?

Yes, all of the stories in "Tossing Loose Change in a Jar: Tales from Childhood" are based on real events from the author's childhood. However, some details may have been embellished or changed for storytelling purposes.

What message does the author hope readers will take away from this book?

The author hopes that readers will be reminded of their own childhood experiences and the importance of cherishing the small moments in life. They also hope to inspire readers to reflect on their own memories and the impact they have had on their lives.