1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Java applet help

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To code a dots and boxes game variant. Basically I need to code the same game except instead of drawing lines you choose two dots to form a line. I would need MouseListener for clicking and entering/exiting dots, a graphics update for changing colors of the dots and forming lines, a score tracker for "boxes" completed, and I guess an adjacent dot checker for creating boxes.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this code? I want it to paint out 64 dots, but for some reason it will only paint out one.

Also I'm trying to figure out a way to have a MouseListener on each Dot so when you enter/exit the dot the color will change, and when you click on the dot the color will stay and the MouseListener will be removed. The color would be based on the current player. I'm not sure how to do this because you can't have a mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) inside the paint(Graphics g).

Here is the relevant code:
    Code (Text):

public void paint(Graphics g)
        {
            Dot[] dots = new Dot[63];
            for(int i = 0; i < dots.length; i++)
            {
                for(int j = 25; j < 400; j += 50)
                {
                    for(int k = 25; k < 400; k += 50)
                    {
                        dots[i] = new Dot(j, k);
                    }
                }
            }      
            for(Dot d : dots)
            {
                g.setColor(Color.black);
                g.fillOval(d.getX(), d.getY(), 10, 10);
            }

Code (Text):

public class Dot
    {
        private int x;
        private int y;

public Dot(int x, int y)
        {
            this.x = x;
            this.y = y;
        }

public int getX()
        {
            return x;
        }

public int getY()
        {
            return y;
        }
    }

Also any alternative pathways to get this problem done would be helpful. I know exactly what I want to be done but I've lost on how to implement it all in code :\

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Ok I figured out most of that, but I still don't know how I can have a check to see if a Dot is adjacent to each other.

I have a for iterator that loops through all the dots: "For (Dot d : Dot)" and I have the methods getX(), getY(), and getColor() for the Dots but I'm not sure exactly how to write it in code to check for adjacentcy.

A line should be drawn if the dots have the same X or Y coordinate and are 50 pixels away from each other in the other coordinate.

I was thinking this condition:

If(d.getX() == d.getX() && Math.abs(d.getY() - d.getY())== 0)

Any help please?

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Try:

for(int i=0;i<63;i++) for(int j=i+1;j<63;j++)
    {
    if((d.getX()==d[j].getX() && java.lang.Math.abs(d.getY()-d[j].getY())==50) ||
    (d.getY()==d[j].getY() && java.lang.Math.abs(d.getX()-d[j].getX())==50) )
    { ... whatever you'd like to do to join the two adjacent dots ....}
    }

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    OK Thanks a bunch man

This is what I ended up using

Code (Text):

for(int i = 0; i < 63; i++)
            {
                for(int j = i + 1; j < 63; j++)
                {
                    boolean notBlack = (Dot[i].getColor() != Color.black) && (Dot[j].getColor() != Color.black);
                    boolean sameX = Dot[i].getX() == Dot[j].getX();
                    boolean sameY = Dot[i].getY() == Dot[j].getY();
                    boolean adjacentX = (Dot[i].getX() - Dot[j].getX() == 50) || (Dot[i].getX() - Dot[j].getX() == -50);
                    boolean adjacentY = (Dot[i].getY() - Dot[j].getY() == 50) || (Dot[i].getY() - Dot[j].getY() == -50);

if((sameX && adjacentY && notBlack) || (sameY && adjacentX && notBlack))
                    {
                        g.drawLine(Dot[i].getX() + 5, Dot[i].getY() + 5, Dot[j].getX() + 5, Dot[j].getY() + 5);
                    }
                }
            }

Now I got to figure out how to check for "boxes"

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5
    How do you define a box, four points forming a square 50 pixels apart?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?