Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Java,C++,Matlab and Maple help needed

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    Hello guys, I am Junior college student here in Birmingham,al. I plan to transfer to a 4yr. university in about 14 months. I will be a double major in physics and EE. I feel I need to develop some advanced computational skills before my transfer to the senior college. The skills I want to master are Java and C++ programming. I would also like to become proficient with the tools of Matlab and Maple.
    Warning: I have no programming experience. Can someone provide me with some resources that I can download. I am thinking of starting with a MIT Opencourseware Programming lead in class that is free and available online. It is :

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrica.../6-090January--IAP--2005/CourseHome/index.htm
    6.090 Building Programming Experience: A Lead-In to 6.001

Would this course be a good start before jumping into hardcore programming?
    Thanks

Roy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    I think the easiest way to get into programming is to set up a programming environment on your PC (Whether you feel like going all the way by installing Linux or BSD or spending hours on end trying to get MingW or Cygwin working on Windows) and look at simple code examples and experiment with them.
    A good book on the C programming language is The C Programming Language by Kerninghan and Ritchie, which is the C programming book.
    However, you did say C++... so you might not want that so as to not confuse yourself, but it is a very good book for the programming beginner. Plus, the synthax is just about the same in C++ or Java, so it would be a good start to non-object oriented programming.
    I know I wouldn't have been able to learn how to program without learning how to use a terminal and a compiler and messing around with code examples.
    If you get C, C++ or Java down, then MATLAB won't be a problem at all.
    As for Maple, it's very easy to pick up. In fact, Maple 11 has a GUI so nice that you can rely on that alone. I haven't gotten around to learning how to program in Maple myself.
    Good luck.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help. I am looking for that book now.
    Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?