Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Java Debugging Problem *Help!*

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    Here's what I wrote , but theres no output.. It is suppose to read a line typed from the user and enter whatever the input was with the letter after the ones inputted. plz help

import java.util.Scanner;

class ProblemS2 {

static Scanner sc=new Scanner(System.in);

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.print("Input the word:");

String code =sc.next();

System.out.println("Time to decipher this...");

char c;

char[] letteroutput = { 'A', 'B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','K','L','M','N','O','P','Q','R','S','T','U','V','W','X','Y','Z' };

for(int i=0;i<code.length();i++) {
    c = code.charAt(i);

for(int j=0; j <letteroutput.length; i++) {

if(letteroutput[j]==c)
    System.out.println(letteroutput[j+1]);
    else
    break;

}

}

}}

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2
    I don't know what is it that you wan't to do but for starters 'A' and 'a' are not the same thefore if you input "java" nothing will happen since 'j' does not match 'J', maybe you can try String code =sc.next().toUpperCase();?

4. Jan 4, 2007 #3
    Let's say I input MOO

the output would be NPP

N is after M
    P is after O

I tried with Caps, does the same thing

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4
    for(int j=0; j <letteroutput.length; i++ ) {

Can't be bothered to run through your algo, but this jumped out at me as I was skimming this thread. Should be j++ if you want j to ever change. :P

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5
    Oh I just fixed that but then I found out the real problem... The Else statement I had cause the program to output nothing since it always broke out of my loop. Thx for help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?