Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Java GUI

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    When using GUIs, you can enter an integer or a double into an input dialog box, then you can set a variable equal to the input such as below:

int variable = Integer.parseInt(String name);

double variable = Double.parseDouble(String name);

If I enter a string into the dialog box, and I want to set a variable of the string type equal to that input, what code can I use that's similar to the code above? I can't seem to find anything in my text book.

I'm looking for something like: String variable = String.parseString(String name);

Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2
    I'm not totally sure I understand the question, but I'm pretty sure that what you want is the

ANY object in Java should have a toString() method (although sometimes it will not return what you expect) and so it is analogous to the Type.parse(object) methods..
  4. Nov 28, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm no expert on Java but I would think that the reason you NEED "Integer.parseInt(String name)" and "Double.parseDouble(String name)" is to change a string to an integer or double. You don't NEED a function to change a string to a string!

Just "String variable= name;" should work.
  5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
    Thank you for the replies.

I think HallsofIvy hit the nail on the head. I was doing it assbackwards. I should have imported a GUI package, and used the methods within that package to display a string.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?