1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Java or c++?

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone... I'm a communication system engineering student and in my university we use studying Java. Now, for this summer, when I ll have free time, I was thinking about doing some practice with programming and maybe studying a new language, such C++( it s still a widesprrad language and I think Id like the freedom it gives you) . The problem I want to ask is, is it convenient( in terms of job opportunities), to learn java and c++ or only doing good java programming would be enough?? Are there many entry level jobs out there as java may have, or given it s a though language, employers will just require you more experience?
    P.s.I d like to work in the field od medical imaging in the future, where c++ is very used too, although I need experience working with other companies before.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    Your employment potential is much greater with C++ and Java than Java alone.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3
    And with the job experience instead? Is it there much difference with the experience required to get, say, a c++ position, rather than a Java one?

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4
    That depends on where you are and on the specific job you are applying for.

Companies weigh education, experience, and programming skills differently in their hiring processes.

You need to convince them that you can really program. Code samples and detailed descriptions of completed projects is most convincing.

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5
    Yes, the fact about projects is true...but how much difference would it be in terms of job opportunities ( for entry level jobs) between a java and c++ programmer? Java is good to find job, but is c++ that bad ??

7. Jul 13, 2015 #6
    It depends on the local market. I've been offered several jobs based on my C programming experience, without knowing Java.

Supply and demand is a local phenomena in job markets.

8. Jul 14, 2015 #7
    Java I learnt it on university and in my country is an important skill for finding a job, anyway you should also consider Python or more job focused like Mathematica or Matlab. Saludos

9. Jul 14, 2015 #8
    I m not interested much in mathlab..anyway I ve done some search, and I think it would be more convenient for me to study c or c ++....do they have the same job opportunities??

10. Jul 14, 2015 #9
    Commercial applications for Windows OS commonly are written in Microsoft's version of C++, and C++ is also easily portable to other OSes.
    In recent times the trend is for C# to become more usual for Windows apps, but that language is rarely implemented for environments other than Windows.
    Linux distributions focus on development in C or C++ or a combination, (since the original Unix OS was largely designed to be specifically an environment in which to develop projects using C).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  11. Jul 14, 2015 #10
    Oh..alright....and the application of c instead?would it be good AS c++ to find job?

12. Jul 14, 2015 #11
    In the commercial development environment applications can be quite large, and so C++ is definitely preferable, since it is an object orientated language.
    This aids enormously with projects involving multiple programmers, and also helps speed up development times.
    For many scientific and system/technical applications plain C can be better as it's 'closer' to programming the CPU at machine level.
    It's definitely best to have knowledge of both though, (and your C++ code will be much better anyway if you have a good grasp of C beforehand).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook