Java Error: "Type Mismatch" Explained

In summary, The conversation is about a type mismatch error that the speaker is encountering while programming in Eclipse. The error is caused by trying to convert an integer value to a string without using quotation marks. The error is further explained by the other speaker as they discuss string literals and character literals.
Niaboc67
I am programming in Eclipse and I keep seeing the error "
Type mismatch: cannot convert from int to String", not only in the example I am going to provide but other programs. I've just started programming in Java. Could someone explain to me what this error exactly means?

publicclassPracOne{

publicstaticvoidmain(String[] args){String s1 = 8;

String s2 = 8;

System.out.print(s1.equals(s2));

}

}

Physics news on Phys.org
I rarely program in Java, but I suppose you would have to surround 8 by double quotes, on both lines. Otherwise the 8 represents an int(eger), not a string.

Please use [ code ] and [ /code ] tags as I have done below.
When you copy/pasted your code, it ended up with many spaces taken out that should be there. I have added them back in for the first couple of lines.
Niaboc67 said:
I am programming in Eclipse and I keep seeing the error "
Type mismatch: cannot convert from int to String", not only in the example I am going to provide but other programs. I've just started programming in Java. Could someone explain to me what this error exactly means?
Java:
public class PracOne{

public static void main(String[] args)
   {
      String s1 = 8;
      String s2 = 8;
      System.out.print(s1.equals(s2));
   }
}
I agree with @Krylov. Your two String variables should be initialized with string literals, not int values. Those two lines should look like this:
Java:
String s1 = "8";
String s2 = "8";

Last edited:
Oh of course. Because only int can be a real number value, right? And when working with the String constructor it has to be characters or something within quotes?

Niaboc67 said:
Oh of course. Because only int can be a real number value, right?
Sort of. It can't have any fractional part.
Niaboc67 said:
And when working with the String constructor it has to be characters or something within quotes?
Yes

Is that always true @Mark44? why does the String Constructor have to be within quotes?

Niaboc67 said:
Is that always true @Mark44? why does the String Constructor have to be within quotes?
Is what always true?

A String literal has to be in double quotes. That's how you know it's a string literal. A character literal (such as 'a') is in single quotes. I don't understand what you're asking about a String Constructor. Your code doesn't explicitly use a constructor for the String class.

1. What is a "type mismatch" error in Java?

A "type mismatch" error in Java occurs when a program tries to assign a value of one data type to a variable of another data type.

2. How does a "type mismatch" error happen?

This error can happen when there is a discrepancy between the data types of the variable and the value being assigned to it. For example, trying to assign a string to an integer variable will result in a "type mismatch" error.

3. How can I fix a "type mismatch" error?

To fix a "type mismatch" error, you need to make sure that the data types match. You can either change the variable's data type or convert the value to the appropriate data type before assigning it to the variable.

4. Can a "type mismatch" error be prevented?

Yes, a "type mismatch" error can be prevented by properly declaring and initializing variables with the correct data types. It is also important to pay attention to the data types of values being assigned to variables.

5. Are there any tools that can help identify "type mismatch" errors?

Yes, there are tools like IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) that can help identify "type mismatch" errors by highlighting them and providing suggestions for fixing them. Additionally, Java compilers also provide error messages that can help pinpoint the location and cause of a "type mismatch" error.