Finding Java Learning Resources: Where to Start?

In summary, your coworker is looking for Java learning resources and you mention a few useful websites and forums such as Oracle's Java tutorials and Dream.In.Code's Java tutorials. You also mention that you don't have a specific Java book recommendation but suggest using reference cards and documentation for the standard libraries to quickly learn the syntax and basics of Java. You also mention that with their experience in C++, it should be an easy transition to Java and recommend thinking of it as a "managed C++" environment.
atomicpedals
A coworker asked me if I had any recommendations for Java learning resources; I thought about it and really didn't have many since my programming life has been an odd mixture of Python, Fortran, and C++. And this got me wondering, does anyone have any good suggestions for Java learning resources (e.g. useful website, really good books, etc)? I'm sure they exist, I've just never really thought about it.

Technology news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:
A coworker asked me if I had any recommendations for Java learning resources; I thought about it and really didn't have many since my programming life has been an odd mixture of Python, Fortran, and C++. And this got me wondering, does anyone have any good suggestions for Java learning resources (e.g. useful website, really good books, etc)? I'm sure they exist, I've just never really thought about it.

Hey atomicpedals.

How much experience does your coworker have with programming? (Particularly with something like say C++, C#, or say a .NET language or similar to this?)

Hey chiro,

They have at least some experience with C++.

atomicpedals said:
Hey chiro,

They have at least some experience with C++.

If they have enough experience, they could probably almost go straight into the documentation for the libraries or get some kind of reference card for all the standard libraries for the basics like strings, file i/o, and so on. Also they could probably just get a reference card for the standard commands for creating new objects (no pointers in java) and all the rest of it.

I'd imagine the syntax issues would be taken care of in one or two weeks and the libraries would be very quick because of the C++ training.

If you can find some kind of reference card like this, I would send them the reference card and they would be up and running pretty quickly. Tell them to think of things like a 'managed C++' environment (If you don't know what this is then google it).

I know all of the things haven't been covered, but pretty much they will pick up things as they need to and with C++ experience it will be very quick and an easy transition.

Trust me, it's not as bad as you think going from C++ to Java.

1. What is the best way to start learning Java as a beginner?

As a beginner, the best way to start learning Java is by taking an online course or reading a beginner-friendly book. These resources provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning the basics of Java programming.

2. Are there any free resources available for learning Java?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning Java. Some popular options include online tutorials, YouTube videos, and open-source coding projects. These resources can provide a good foundation for beginners without any cost.

3. Can I learn Java without any prior programming experience?

Yes, it is possible to learn Java without any prior programming experience. However, it may require some extra effort and dedication to understand the basic concepts and syntax of the language. Taking a beginner course or reading a beginner-friendly book can help with this.

4. What are the best online platforms for finding Java learning resources?

Some of the best online platforms for finding Java learning resources include Udemy, Coursera, Codecademy, and edX. These platforms offer a variety of courses and tutorials for learners of all levels.

5. Are there any specific resources for learning Java for web development?

Yes, there are specific resources available for learning Java for web development. Some popular options include Spring Framework, JavaServer Pages (JSP), and Java Servlets. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of Java before diving into these specialized areas.