Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

JAVA Sudoku help -Urgent-

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    Hi guys, i'm being asked to do a mini-project...Basically, i get a code in JAVA and "edit". Editting can be improving the interface, adding exception handling or adding features and so...I chose Sudodu as my topic..after much searching I found this code but i'm out of ideas, what can be improved in this code? this is URGENT please help

Please help guys, if u can tip me or find a better code....I really need this,please.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    I have a few ideas,maybe you can evaluate them and their difficulty to implement:

- Exception handling..i'll try to figure out something
    - Undo/Redo
    - Different color schemes
    - Adding classical background music that can be turned ON/OFF
    - Print the generated puzzle
    - Replace the icons
    - Maybe include some sort of animations

I'm using NetBeans btw...please guys, i'm in urgent need for your help
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. May 25, 2008 #3
    Does anyone know how to run a sound file from within a program??

I want the user to click a button and an external sound file runs...sorta background music.

Moreover, how can I do simple text animations??? - really simple-
  5. May 26, 2008 #4
    is there a Java tutorial thread ?
  6. May 27, 2008 #5
    I don't know but I hope there is because even after googling, I still can't make those simple text animations that i'm after...
  7. May 31, 2008 #6
    Never do these things:
    - Adding unnecessary sounds
    - Adding fun animation (use this only if it is needed)
    - Bright colors

Preferable things:
    - Make it more simple
    - Don't use too much try-catch .. do only if the thing is out of your control; let is crash :smile:
    - Make everything more accessible

Tutorial: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Adding sound:
    there's a class for that. I don't remember it's name but it's two line codes

I only know simple ones

Thread.Sleep (1000);

//move things around
    use x-y cods or other color properties
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  8. Jun 1, 2008 #7
    thanks alot mate, finally someone nice helps.

Any clue where to look? I've found some on the internet but its way too advanced for my level - first course ever-...
  9. Jun 1, 2008 #8
  10. Jun 1, 2008 #9
    thanks a million man.

I have something in mind, Is there a way in which I can change the text in textfield/area/label during runtime? I want to create a flashing effect with text..and to do that I'll make a thread that setText() into something "My example" then into nothing "" and then sleep for a sec, by that it should create a blinking effect.
    Also, in the application i am using FlowLayout, can I manually change the co-oridnates of the components or is it determined for good?
  11. Jun 1, 2008 #10
    Those are possible.. much easier if you use netbeans.

It would be really crazy if you are doing all this to a business applications =:)
  12. Jun 2, 2008 #11
    its a sudoku game, and I am using netbeans but the original writer of the code is using awt not swing....If what I reffered to in post #9 can you please please please please please tell me how or give me a link or any hints/clues??? I tried to do it but the problem is the text in the text field does not change during runtime...

Also, in the application i am using FlowLayout, can I manually change the co-oridnates of the components or is it determined for good?
  13. Jun 3, 2008 #12
    go to java.sun.com u can do all that with awt and threads. text boxes all have a setText method
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?