Learning Java Web Services: Books & Order to Read for Data Gathering

• Java
  • Thread starter Stress2Death
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java Web
In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for books on gathering data using web services in Java. They have a strong background in data structures and algorithms, and are comfortable programming in Java or C. They have a basic understanding of computer architecture but no knowledge of HTML, XML, PHP, Python, Perl or any other web programming languages. They are open to suggestions on the order in which to tackle necessary topics and are also seeking advice on topics such as HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, and CSS.
Stress2Death
I have an urgent need to learn to gather data using web services in java. I've picked up several books which all seem over my head. Can anyone recommend a stack of books and tell me what order to read them in? Otherwise if anyone can at least tell me what order I should tackle the necessary topics in it would be a huge help.

Here is my background:
in depth knowledge of data structures & algorithms
very comfortable programming in java or c
basic understanding of computer architecture
no knowledge of html, xml, php, python, perl or any of that stuff
no experience in web programming

thanks

*I just posted this in another section. I'm not trying to abuse this website, I just decided that this section was more appropriate.

Technology news on Phys.org
I deleted your other post. This is probably the best section for your question.

I don't have any books to recommend pertaining to Java web services- maybe someone will chime in with some suggestions. I would suggest that you keep plowing ahead with the books you have. If there's something you don't understand, post a question here or on the stackoverflow site.

For web programming, I'd advise getting up to speed on HTML and probably JavaScript, jQuery, and CSS (cascading style sheets), which are used in a lot of web pages.

Yeah I suppose I should try diving back in. I'll look into the stuff you mentioned. Thanks.

1. What is Java Web Services?

Java Web Services is a collection of technologies and tools used for creating and deploying web services in Java. Web services are applications or software components that can be accessed over the internet using standardized protocols and data formats.

2. Why is learning Java Web Services important?

Learning Java Web Services is important because it allows developers to create robust and scalable web applications that can easily communicate and exchange data with other systems. It also enables the integration of different platforms and technologies, making it a valuable skill in the modern tech industry.

3. What are the best books to read for learning Java Web Services?

Some popular books for learning Java Web Services include "Java Web Services: Up and Running" by Martin Kalin, "Java Web Services: Architecture and Programming" by William Murray and Chris Hogue, and "Java Web Services in a Nutshell" by Kim Topley. It is recommended to read multiple books to get a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

4. In what order should I read the books for learning Java Web Services?

There is no specific order to read the books for learning Java Web Services. It is recommended to start with a beginner-friendly book and then move on to more advanced topics. Alternatively, you can also choose to read books based on your specific learning objectives and interests.

5. Can I gather data from other sources besides books to learn Java Web Services?

Yes, you can gather data from various sources besides books to learn Java Web Services. Some other useful resources include online tutorials, documentation, and online courses. It is also beneficial to practice coding and building projects to enhance your skills and understanding of Java Web Services.