How can I add a Deep Impact countdown to my forum signature using Javascript?

• Java
  • Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Javascript
In summary, the conversation is about the individual wanting to add a countdown to their signature on a forum. They have tried using javascript but it hasn't worked out. They are wondering if using flash would be easier, and the other person suggests it might be due to the level of coding knowledge needed. The individual then mentions finding a countdown with 40 lines of code and thanks the other person for their help.
B. Elliott
I was wanting to have a simple copy of the Deep Impact countdown on my signature in another forum. I've really been racking my brain trying to figure this out, and to no avail.

http://www.space.com/deepimpact/

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

B. Elliott

Technology news on Phys.org
Do their forums allow javascript?

If not, you could always try using flash.

They do allow for javascript. Would flash be easier? (i'm ignorant when it comes to coding):frown:

I would probably do it in flash. I am not sure if you could say either is easier: It is a matter of whether or not you know what you are doing. Flash would give you a little more control of the looks, imo, and you could add some other cool stuff if you wanted to.

Ok, I've found quite a few so far, but none work as expected. There HAS to be a simpler way to do it. For instance, 4-6 lines of code rather than 200-1,000.

no fancy border or texturing or anything. just a counter with "days, hours, min, seconds." that's it.

thankyou for the help btw.

Yeah that is another reason why I was thinking flash would be easier. Mainly because most forums have a limit on the number of characters in a signature.

I saw this one that had roughly 40ish lines, not sure about the characters though.

http://www.tdscripts.com/jscountdown.html

I had to play with it a little but, ended up working well. thanks again!

1. What is a Javascript signature?

A Javascript signature is a unique identifier that is used to reference a specific function or variable in a Javascript program. It is similar to a name or label that helps to differentiate between different elements in the code.

2. How do I create a Javascript signature?

A Javascript signature is created by using the keyword "function" followed by the name of the function or variable. For example: function myFunction() { //code goes here } This creates a signature for the function called "myFunction".

3. Can I change a Javascript signature?

No, once a Javascript signature is created, it cannot be changed. If you need to make changes to a function or variable, you can simply create a new signature for the updated code.

4. Why is a Javascript signature important?

A Javascript signature is important because it allows you to easily refer to and call specific functions or variables in your code. It also helps to prevent naming conflicts and makes your code more organized and readable.

5. Are there any best practices for creating Javascript signatures?

Yes, it is important to use meaningful and descriptive names for your Javascript signatures to make your code easier to understand. It is also recommended to follow a consistent naming convention, such as using camel case or underscores between words.