Jazz/Ragtime: Who's Playing This Addicting Piece?

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about a piece of music called "Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin and Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton took place. The participants discussed their enjoyment of the music, with one person mentioning their preference for Morton's version over Joplin's. They also discussed other musicians and styles that they enjoy, such as Eubie Blake and Zydeco. The conversation ended with everyone agreeing that the music was fun and showcased pure talent.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's good stuff.

You probably like Scott Joplin, Eubie Blake and James P. Johnson.

I also like Zydeco. :biggrin:

yeah, I think it's supposed to be Ferdinand Morton's version of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, anyways it's pretty nice to listen to in a casual setting e.g. working on the computer, kinda lifts the spirit up.

It was interesting, but I'm not sure I liked it.

I have some recordings of Joplin transcribed for emsemble, which really work, and one of E. Power Biggs playing Joplin on the pedal harpsichord, of all things, and that one also works.

I think the "jazzification" in your link is done with integrity, but Ragtime is already a "jazzed-up" rendering of more standard musical forms, and it struck me a weird to twist it further.

It reminds me of the old silent movie music [laurel and hardy] :smile:

I think it's fun.

yeah, it's a fun piece to listen to and pure talent.

The original piece is called maple leaf rag by Scott Joplin. This piece is actually by Ferdinand (Jelly Roll Morton), yeah he twisted it up a bit (maple leaf stomp), I prefer Morton's version over Joplin's though.

1. What is jazz/ragtime?

Jazz and ragtime are two genres of music that emerged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in the United States. Jazz originated in African American communities in New Orleans and is characterized by improvisation, syncopated rhythms, and a strong sense of swing. Ragtime also emerged from African American communities and is characterized by its syncopated melodies and steady, marching rhythms.

2. What are the differences between jazz and ragtime?

While both jazz and ragtime have roots in African American communities and share some musical elements, they are distinct genres. Jazz is more improvisational and often features solos, while ragtime is more structured and usually played on the piano. Jazz also has a stronger emphasis on swing and rhythm, while ragtime has a more steady, march-like feel.

3. Who were some famous jazz and ragtime musicians?

Some famous jazz musicians include Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, and Miles Davis. Ragtime musicians include Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, and James Scott. Both genres have had a significant impact on the development of American music and have influenced countless musicians across various genres.

4. How did jazz and ragtime influence each other?

Jazz and ragtime have a symbiotic relationship, with each genre influencing the other. Ragtime's syncopation and rhythmic complexity influenced the development of jazz, while jazz musicians would often incorporate ragtime melodies and techniques into their music. Many jazz musicians also started their careers playing ragtime music in bars and clubs.

5. Is jazz/ragtime still popular today?

While jazz and ragtime may not be as mainstream as they were in their heyday, they still have a dedicated fan base and are considered important genres in the history of American music. Jazz continues to evolve and influence other genres, while ragtime is often celebrated and performed at festivals and special events. Both genres have left a lasting impact on popular music and remain relevant in today's music scene.