Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jedi School Now Accepting Applications

1. May 25, 2003 #1
    That's right! After, viewing the Star Wars Kid thread, it occured to me that there are actually people out there who would give their left testicle to become a Jedi Knight... or at least have a piece of paper that officially says their a Jedi Knight. So, I'm going to cash in and start the first Jedi College!

As the dean the of this college, I have decided on the following curriculum for the Jedi Knight major:

FIRST YEAR

Fall Semester
    Aikido I
    Calculus I
    Chemistry I
    East Asian Foreign Language I -- Choose from Japanese or Mandarin.
    Jedi Philosophy

Spring Semester
    Aikido II
    Calculus II
    Chemistry II
    East Asian Foreign Language II
    Computer Science: Programming

Summer Semster
    Aikido III
    Computer Science: Data Structures

SECOND YEAR

Fall Semester
    Kendo I
    Calculus III
    Physics I
    East Asian Foreign Language III
    Psychology: Introduction for Jedis

Spring Semester
    Kendo II
    Differential Equations & Linear Algebra
    Physics II
    East Asian Foreign Language IV
    Criminology: the Mind of the Sith

Summer Semsester
    Kendo III
    Electronics for Jedis with Laboratory

THIRD YEAR

Fall Semester
    Ninjitsu I
    Vector Calculus
    Mechanics
    European Foreign Language I: Choose from German or French
    Political Science and Diplomacy

Spring Semester
    Ninjitsu II
    Partial Differential Equations
    Electrodynamics
    European Foreign Language II
    Hypnosis for Jedis

Summer Semster
    Ninjitsu III
    Applied Electrodynamics & Laboratory

FOUTH YEAR

Fall Semester
    Ninjitsu IV
    Optics
    Quantum Mechanics I
    European Foreign Language III
    Flight Instruction I

Spring Semester
    Ninjitsu V
    Thermal Physics
    Quantum Mechanics II
    European Foreign Language IV
    Flight Instruction II

Summer Semster
    Ninjitsu VI
    Solid State Weapons Laboratory

FIFTH & SIXTH YEAR

Intense study of Jedi martial arts and area of specialization. Choose from: Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Philosophy, or Social Science.

With this degree, one will have the option of entering the workforce, continuting education for doctoral studies, or becoming professional Jedi Knight.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2003 #2
    would you expand your curriculum to include...

Dark Lord of the Sith wannabies?

4. May 25, 2003 #3
    You may want to talk to the already-established Jedi cult...

5. May 25, 2003 #4
    Re: would you expand your curriculum to include...

No way. We only teach people who won't be swayed toward the dark side at my school.

eNtRopY

6. May 25, 2003 #5
    Okay, I checked it out. Those freaks are just a bunch of posers. They actually have formed a Jedi Academy, but it's nothing more than a Sunday school for jerks who won't admit that Christianity without the spice of something else is no fun at all. Seriously, these dumbasses have a website with some of the Jedi sermons that have been taught at their little club. I only mock Sunday school because I wasted so many years as a child attending such bullsh:t. It's funny because I took one semester of Jewish History in college and learned more about the true meaning of the Old Testament than all my years in Sunday school combined.

Anyway, I think that my Jedi Academy will offend many long-time Star Wars fans in the sense that it will require actual work. That's what I love about it. Let's face it... most Star Wars wouldn't have what it takes to become real Jedis.

"What does it take?" you ask. Well, George Lucas modeled the Jedi Knight after the Shaolin monks. Many people think of Shaolin monks as just being Kung Fu experts, but in fact, only a some of them were. Shaolin temples were a precursor to today's universities. When someone became a Shaolin monk, they were dedicating their life to studying. Yes, being a Jedi (like being a Shaolin monk) require a life of discipline and not the pursuit of idle pleasure.

Different areas studied by the Shaolin included: medicine, natural science, philosophy, art, music and of course martial arts. I believe that George Lucas had intended for Jedis to be a similar type of monk-scholar. Different Jedis had different specialties, all seem to have learned a particular core ciriculum. This is what I'm attempting to recreate with my Jedi school.

eNtRopY

7. May 26, 2003 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's with all the physics/math classes?

I'm sure they'll need some, but wouldn't classes like droid repair, starfighter piloting, telekenisis 101, mind control 101, light-saber combat 101, electronics jerry-rigging, etc. be more important?

8. May 26, 2003 #7
    I'm agreeing with enigma! hehe you can use the new model of anakins lightsaber that came out in october it is more realistic looking and sounding than previous models!

9. May 26, 2003 #8
    Well, notice I do include hypnosis in the curiculum... and I think that light-saber fighting will be included somewhere in the six years of intense martial art studies. I have included so many physics/math classes because from my own experiences these classes give the best foundation for further study in science, engineering and philosophy. My own opinion of Jedis is that they are a type of philosopher.

Maybe you're right though maybe I should include more electrical engineering and computer science classes classes. I mean after the Jedi Academy was destroyed, Yoda and Obi Wan decided that Luke needed to learn to be more self-reliant than any other Jedi before. As part of his training, Yoda had Luke build his own light sabre. Traditionally, Jedi students could rely on a light sabre craftsman to do this task. Since Luke was the last hope, he had to learn to do everything for himself.

I find this story to be somewhat comparable to the American versus German graduate student situation. When I go to the physics laboratories in Germany, it's strange because graduate students have technicians and laborers at their disposal who do all the dirty work... <sarcastic>heaven forbid a great mind should have to be bored by menial tasks</sarcastic>. In America, graduate students have to do everything by themselves. In addition to doing my regular research, sometimes I find myself machining apparatus, building our physical facility, or setting up our computer network. I think the American way is just part of America philosophy... people shouldn't be afraid of working hard.

Anyway, maybe the last two years of study can be dedicated to specializing in a certain technical aspect such as hacking or mind control.

eNtRopY

10. May 26, 2003 #9

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Re: would you expand your curriculum to include...

ANYONE CAN BE SWAYED TOWARDS THE DARK SIDE !!!
    Mwhoaaaah ha ha ha !

Entropy, you got a great plan, I'd run to the
    patent office instead of wasting my time here,
    many really bored people LOVE spending money on
    stuff like this ! :wink:

Live long and prosper.

11. May 26, 2003 #10
  12. May 26, 2003 #11
    i've never seen star wars.

13. May 26, 2003 #12

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

whaaaaa?

Are you broken?

How is it possible that you post on a physics board and you have no geek friends who would have long ago dragged you to see them?

14. May 26, 2003 #13
    i wont bore you with the details of my particular context.

<giggles>

but.. nope! none of my geek friends ever dragged me out to watch it.

15. May 27, 2003 #14

drag

Science Advisor

HA ! HA ! HA !
    Yeah right(aspecialy in CA)...
    It's a logical impossibility... :wink:

16. May 27, 2003 #15
    Teehehe, Even BoulderHead has seen all the star wars movies !

I seem to have missed out the Matrix, however...:frown:

17. May 27, 2003 #16
    seriously drag, i've never seen any of the star wars movies.

im really out of touch with pop culture.

i've grown too old and uphip to keep up with it now anyway.

i havnt really watched tv or listened to music on the radio since 1997 (i dont own one, for one thing)...

18. May 27, 2003 #17

drag

Science Advisor

Too old ?! Com'mon ! :smile:
    Yeah, higher education is horrible burden...
    What about the 16 years before that ?
    I mean this is clearly a basic "hole" in education.

P.S. You can always go rent'em. :wink:

P.P.S. You've never watched Star Trek either ?!
    That's totally horrible !

Peace and long life.

19. May 28, 2003 #18
    drag... where did you get the idea that i was 16 in 1997!?!?!

i am really curious.

and about star trek.. i have only ever seen one episode "the measure of man"

i would love to watch more. but it is tricky for me to actually rent any episodes or buy them considering that i dont have a car to travel to the nearest video rental place (and it is not within reasonable walking distance in 100 F heat, and public transport where i live is a bastard)... plus i dont even have a tv to watch them anyway.

(although my comp does have a dvd thingy)

Last edited: May 28, 2003
  20. May 28, 2003 #19

drag

Science Advisor

You said you were 22 once. Is this incorrect ?

NO TV ?!

21. May 28, 2003 #20
    just as a side note: you know what is really bad? peopel would actualy pay to go to your college and you could just make crap up...ok everyone pool your money lets open that college.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?