Is Jeff Goldblum's Acting Quality Measured by His Expressive Eyes?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary: He is great in some roles and terrible in others.In summary, Jeff Goldblum is a quality actor who is good in the movies he is in, but he doesn't have much range. He is what he is and people like to watch him for that reason. However, he is not an impressive actor in my opinion.

n!kofeyn said:
I've heard of it, but like I said, he's just way to pretentious. I mean the way he plays Batman is just silly with the voice, puckered lips when playing Wayne, and everything else, and I can't get that out of my head. He's just not for me, so I don't think I'll like him in any movie because I don't like his personality. Although I should view it within a personal context, listening to that leaked tape of his rant just shows he is kind of a prick, and I don't like watching people I don't like.

That's why he was so damn good in American Psycho. He plated the role perfectly. The problem is that you saw him in Batman first. I think he did a good job in Batman playing Bruce Wayne as well. Dark Night was overboard, but Batman Begins was very good. Go rent American Psycho.

Another good movie is American Gigolo with Richard Gere.

matt damon is also very good (I'm excluding the whole Bourne Trilogy when I say this. They were OK, not good).

Physics news on Phys.org

Huckleberry said:
Dave said:
See Snatch, Burn After Reading, Benjamin Button.
Hey, it's not easy keeping up with all the SF. There's only so many hours in a day a guy can watch movies. :smile:

I've seen Snatch. Brad's character was hardly an average schmoe. That was some crazy trailer park boxer with a bad accent. I did enjoy the movie though. I like Guy Ritchie films.

I haven't seen the other two. I'll check them out after I'm finished with the old Battlestar Galactica series.
Burn After Reading is a great satire on the cia agent thriller movie (not at all a thriller though). It has John Malkovich in it aswell. Pitt plays a ditzy blonde physical trainer, really over the top ditzy, but its about the closest thing to an average joe I have ever seen him play. As a warning though its a dry witted artistic sort of satire, not so much a haha slapstick. Sort of an acquired taste. When the movie was over I had a hard time deciding if I liked it myself. I just picked it up and watched it so I had no idea what I was in for.

n!kofeyn said:
I've heard of it, but like I said, he's just way to pretentious. I mean the way he plays Batman is just silly with the voice, puckered lips when playing Wayne, and everything else, and I can't get that out of my head.
Bruce Wayne being a playboy millionaire it kind of fits. But I know what you mean. I thought he was a bit 'weak chinned' for a batman.

Some of my favourite actors:

Anthony Hopkins, Michael Gambon, Ian McKellen, Tom Hanks, Richard Harris, Ben Kingsley, Hugo Weaving, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Geoffrey Rush.

All outstanding actors in my opinion, capable of playing varied roles.

Last edited:

I've been an big fan of Alan Rickman since I saw him in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closet_Land" [Broken] in the early '90s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Math Is Hard said:
I've been an big fan of Alan Rickman since I saw him in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closet_Land" [Broken] in the early '90s.
I can't believe that I left him out! I absolute love the way he plays Snape in the Harry Potters.

Hootenanny said:
I can't believe that I left him out! I absolute love the way he plays Snape in the Harry Potters.

Ditto. :smile:

Check out "Bottle Shock" if you haven't seen it. That was another excellent role for him.

Where are the actresses? Do we judge their ability on a different scale or are female roles more limited? There must have been 20 men mentioned already and I haven't seen a single woman. (Did I miss one?) What's up with that?

Huckleberry said:
Where are the actresses? Do we judge their ability on a different scale or are female roles more limited? There must have been 20 men mentioned already and I haven't seen a single woman. (Did I miss one?) What's up with that?
Feel free. No waiting...

Math Is Hard said:
Love him in everything. Stole the show from Costner in Robin Hood.

Ever see 'Truly Madly Deeply'? If you liked Swayze in Ghost ... you'll hate T-M-D.

Matt Damon has had some good roles with some range, as has Russell Crowe. Cruise is definitely 2-dimensional in most roles, and even worse is his former wife, Nicole Kidman. In "Far and Away", she could manage only two expressions, the most commonly used of which was petulant. Horrible. That could have been a pretty good movie with competent actors, but the couple was cast for their "star power" and lots of folks got taken in. My wife rented it on the recommendation of a co-worker - but even a cheap gallery rental was a rip-off.

n!kofeyn said:
I also enjoy Leonardo DiCaprio

with his best performance in Gilbert Grape :wink:

Huckleberry said:

Not one that I would rank as great, but Cher really surprised me. She is pretty good. As for Nicole Kidman [mentioned earlier], I could watch her all day, but I don't know that her acting skills have ever impressed me. It seems that I liked her in Moulin Rouge.

Math Is Hard said:

He's playing the Caterpillar in the new Alice in Wonderland movie. I like him as well.
Cyrus said:
That's why he was so damn good in American Psycho. He plated the role perfectly. The problem is that you saw him in Batman first. I think he did a good job in Batman playing Bruce Wayne as well. Dark Night was overboard, but Batman Begins was very good. Go rent American Psycho.

Another good movie is American Gigolo with Richard Gere.

matt damon is also very good (I'm excluding the whole Bourne Trilogy when I say this. They were OK, not good).

Well I might check it out then. Sorry I laughed at first, as I just have to sort of giggle when I think of Bale because of his ridiculous growling in Batman.

Matt Damon can really make a character. I liked his comedy in Ocean's 12. I looked him up on imbd and had forgotten about The Legend of Bagger Vance, which was very good. Will Smith is also a great actor. He has good comedic timing, but can get very emotional. I Am Legend was impressive, as he was all by himself basically.

Adding Cate Blanchett to the good actors list.

Last edited:

Will Smith has become a really good actor in my opinion. I remember when he started off on Fresh Prince of Bel Air, he was terrible.
I don't understand the Tom Cruise hate. His characters may not vary much, but he can definitely act.

leroyjenkens said:
Will Smith has become a really good actor in my opinion. I remember when he started off on Fresh Prince of Bel Air, he was terrible.
I don't understand the Tom Cruise hate. His characters may not vary much, but he can definitely act.

He's a nut job scientologist.

n!kofeyn said:
Sorry I laughed at first, as I just have to sort of giggle when I think of Bale because of his ridiculous growling in Batman.
Batman, are you wearing vampire teeth?

You like them? They're haunted.

Cyrus said:
Just today I was minding my own business here in front of the TV when I looked up to see a commercial for Scientology.:bugeye:

DaveC426913 said:
Just today I was minding my own business here in front of the TV when I looked up to see a commercial for Scientology.:bugeye:
At least you don't have Cruise and Travolta in white shirts and ties knocking on your door handing out L. Ron Hubbard pamphlets.

I have the problem with actresses that I generally am far more taken by how attractive they are then their acting skills. Oddly I can't think of many actresses that I have seen in several different roles that I would really consider great actresses. I think that Angelina Jolie is the only one I have seen several times (and not for trying... no really). I can't say that I think she is a very amazing actress.

I've seen Uma Thurman in a number of films but don't care for her much.

Meg Ryan I have seen in a few films but can't say I am very impressed by her acting either.

I like Rosario Dawson but have only seen her in Clerks 2 and Sin City. The fact that I think she's amazingly gorgeous probably plays a big role in my liking her.

Zooey Deschanel I have liked in the movies I have seen her in.

I liked pretty much the entire female cast of West Wing. I have never seen any of them in anything else though. Kristen Chenowith sounded like a familiar name so I looked her up and was rather impressed. She does film and theatre. She also sings both broadway and opera. I was disappointed that she does not normally wear glasses though.

Cyrus said:

Does it make his transformation in Rain Man less convincing?

Ivan Seeking said:
Not one that I would rank as great, but Cher really surprised me. She is pretty good.

I haven't seen many films with Cher in major roles. The one I remember, 'Mask', was a terrific movie and she was very good.

Kathy Bates' performance in 'Misery' was top notch. I looked at her filmography and it is 93 lines long. Of the ones I've seen only a handful do I remember her role in.

I like Julia Roberts. I haven't seen much range from her, but like many of the male actors listed so far, she excels in playing one role. Erin Brokovich was an exceptional role for her, and I've always liked Notting Hill and Pretty Woman.

(Dave, don't bust on me about last milleniums movies :grumpy:)

Huckleberry said:
Kathy Bates' performance in 'Misery' was top notch. I looked at her filmography and it is 93 lines long. Of the ones I've seen only a handful do I remember her role in.
I hated that performance. She hadn't smoothly made the transition from stage to screen and she was making facial expressions that you could have seen from the 50th row. Really chewing up the scenery.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Kevin Spacey he's an excellent actor, and from what I hear he is one of the few people from hollywood this is also just as good on stage as he is on screen. Ohh and I like daniel craig he's pretty good and I like that even though he's James Bond he's not getting stuck in the role and is doing other stuff. And as far as vin diesel goes watch "find me guilty", I think its a pretty good movie and it shows he has the ability to act outside of action movies. It would suck to be an actor or musician pigeonholed into only one sort of role or style because I'm sure a lot of them became actors because they really wanted to act.

leroyjenkens said:

On the contrary, Will was good in the fresh prince because, err, that's Will Smith playing Will Smith. I don't like him when he tries to be serious or intellectual. It's just not his style.

Tom Cruise sucks at acting on the whole.

I prefer actors like Marlon Brando, Vincent Cassel, Christian Bale, Jack Nicholson. Although the latter tends to over do it in his latest movies.

marlon

stevo101 said:
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Kevin Spacey he's an excellent actor, and from what I hear he is one of the few people from hollywood this is also just as good on stage as he is on screen.

I love Kevin Spacey, and you're right, it's a shame no one had mentioned him. Pay It Forward, American Beauty, and K-PAX...all so good. By the way the K-PAX books are very fun to read.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor who doesn't seem to get great movies. He was awesome in Doubt. Although I have my reservations about her, Meryl Streep is good actress and was very good in Doubt as well.

Edward Norton and Cuba Gooding Jr. are good, but don't always seem to get good parts.

There was this one really awful movie I saw once called Remembrance. The lead guy, man was he bad.

Cyrus said:
There was this one really awful movie I saw once called Remembrance. The lead guy, man was he bad.

Impossible, that's an academy award winning short !

Another example of great acting :

marlon

marlon said:
Impossible, that's an academy award winning short !

Another example of great acting :

marlon

That guy is awesome!

Ivan Seeking said:
That guy is awesome!

He's one of my favorite actors.

Math Is Hard said:
He's one of my favorite actors.

Bravo :smile:!

Ohh, i am gettin' all emotional again...the macho thing doesn't work all the time

Thanks you guys

marlon

marlon said:
Ohh, i am gettin' all emotional again...the macho thing doesn't work all the time

Thanks you guys

marlon

Marlon, no joking here. One thing that I always look for in an actor is the expression in the eyes. If the eyes don't convey the emotion, then to me it is not good acting. That is one thing that often bothers me about Will Smith. For example, in Independence Day, when his best friend dies and Smith cries out NO! His eyes are absolutely dead - they convey nothing.

You, my good sir, can tell a story with your eyes.

<h2>1. How can Jeff Goldblum's acting quality be measured?</h2><p>Jeff Goldblum's acting quality can be measured through various factors such as his range, versatility, and ability to fully embody a character. However, his expressive eyes have been a defining feature in his performances and can also be used as a measure of his acting quality.</p><h2>2. What makes Jeff Goldblum's eyes so expressive?</h2><p>Jeff Goldblum's eyes have a unique combination of being both piercing and playful, which allows him to convey a wide range of emotions. They are also very expressive due to his natural talent and training as an actor, allowing him to use subtle movements and expressions to convey complex emotions.</p><h2>3. Can Jeff Goldblum's acting quality be solely measured by his expressive eyes?</h2><p>While Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are a significant factor in his acting quality, they should not be the sole measure. His overall performance, including his delivery, body language, and character development, should also be considered.</p><h2>4. How do Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes contribute to his acting style?</h2><p>Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are a key component of his acting style as they allow him to add depth and nuance to his characters. They can convey subtle emotions and add layers to his performances, making them more captivating and memorable.</p><h2>5. Are there any other actors with similarly expressive eyes?</h2><p>While Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are certainly unique, there are other actors who are known for their expressive eyes such as Meryl Streep, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Saoirse Ronan. However, each actor has their own distinct style and use of their eyes in their performances.</p>

1. How can Jeff Goldblum's acting quality be measured?

Jeff Goldblum's acting quality can be measured through various factors such as his range, versatility, and ability to fully embody a character. However, his expressive eyes have been a defining feature in his performances and can also be used as a measure of his acting quality.

2. What makes Jeff Goldblum's eyes so expressive?

Jeff Goldblum's eyes have a unique combination of being both piercing and playful, which allows him to convey a wide range of emotions. They are also very expressive due to his natural talent and training as an actor, allowing him to use subtle movements and expressions to convey complex emotions.

3. Can Jeff Goldblum's acting quality be solely measured by his expressive eyes?

While Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are a significant factor in his acting quality, they should not be the sole measure. His overall performance, including his delivery, body language, and character development, should also be considered.

4. How do Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes contribute to his acting style?

Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are a key component of his acting style as they allow him to add depth and nuance to his characters. They can convey subtle emotions and add layers to his performances, making them more captivating and memorable.

5. Are there any other actors with similarly expressive eyes?

While Jeff Goldblum's expressive eyes are certainly unique, there are other actors who are known for their expressive eyes such as Meryl Streep, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Saoirse Ronan. However, each actor has their own distinct style and use of their eyes in their performances.