Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jekyll & Hyde

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    I am sure most of you must have read the novel "The strange case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr. Hyde"...this novel leaves lot of questions in my mind and i find the whole culprit to be the society from the eyes of this novel...its actually the superego of the person which stops person from doing things which he wants to and finally giving rise to an evil inside him...Dr. Jekyll clearly wanted to be hyde so that he could indulge in activities which high status in societ prohibited from doing so...
    This really makes me thing...
    "Is this the reason people suffering?"
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

Gold Member

I have all ways wanted to be a bad guy, no you have not, yes i have, no you have not.
  4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    Buddha ascribed all suffering to desire. We suffer because we desire.
  5. Jun 10, 2006 #4
    what a human without a Desire??

Wont the person become a dull....everything has got a desire at everylevel .
  6. Jun 10, 2006 #5

Gold Member

I agree with that last, heman. Even if it's just the thirst for knowledge, everyone desires something. I don't consider it strictly a human phenomenon though. Anything 'conscious' desires food, shelter, etc..
  7. Jun 10, 2006 #6
    Buddha sat under a tree for six years determining to rid himself of every desire for anything that wasn't right in front of him by calming his thoughts down. The more he calmed his thoughts, the less he desired things to be different than they are and the more wonderful everything around him became to him. Things didn't become duller, but richer.
  8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did he desire to rid himself of desire, or was it just "Gah, no cable TV for another 6 months...damn those cableguy unions...I'm so bored...hey, is that a pineapple...nah, lousy jackfruit...maybe I'll get rid of all my desire...oh, whatever..."?
  9. Jun 18, 2006 #8

So have you tried it....like trying to free your mind of all desires..I expect it won't work in this case!
    the starting point of all achievements is desire,,if you have small desire you will get small results or .........if no desire what can happen in that case ,,you could imagine!
  10. Jun 18, 2006 #9

Gold Member

As much as I admire most of the tenents of Buddhism, I have a bit of trouble with this scenario. There's no way that six years' worth of food magically appeared 'right in front of him'. Likewise, who would voluntarily sit in a 6-year-old pile of his own ****. Even if food was available, the stench would surely have ruined his appetite.

edit: The tree probably appreciated the fertilizer, though.
  11. Jun 18, 2006 #10
    Yes, I've tried meditation. It works as advertized.

You can try it in reverse if you like: acquire more desires, see if you feel happier.
  12. Jun 18, 2006 #11
    I don't think the story says he didn't move from the spot for six years, just that he spent his waking hours in meditation there. Of course he got food somehow and went somewhere to crap.
  13. Jun 18, 2006 #12

Homework Helper

Apparently, Buddha never lost his desire to overeat though.
  14. Jun 18, 2006 #13
    There's a tubby Chinese god of happiness that is frequently mistaken for Buddha. Buddha is said to have lived on a handful of rice a day.
  15. Jun 18, 2006 #14
    Have you ever heard stories where people did lot of meditation in lieu of favours?
  16. Jun 18, 2006 #15

Gold Member

Okay, that makes more sense.
  17. Jun 18, 2006 #16
    I'm not sure what you mean. There is a kind of heretical cult that calls itself "True Buddhism" where people chant to get desires fullfilled, but that is a heresy and not what Buddha was doing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?