Jessica Watson's Solo Sail: Hero or Reality TV Star?

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
In summary, Jessica Watson failed to achieve her goal of circumnavigating the world, but she did achieve a lot else including training for the voyage and protesting the Australian Prime Minister's description of her as a 'hero'.
DaveC426913 said:
I think you're missing the point though. Adults are allowed to do stupid things that get them killed. Minors are not. Minors have parents who are responsible for ensuring (with a reasonable margin) that the kids don't do stupid things to get them killed.

and some minors are a lot more responsible than some adults...

and it takes a certain knowledge about certain minors from those parents who recognise the responsibility in their minors.

I think most adults (us) don't meet or run into teens/minors that are that way---they're busy and not in 'our' circle normally

Physics news on Phys.org
rewebster said:
True, but the law is the law. Or at least, many people feel that age trumps ability.

rewebster said:
and it takes a certain knowledge about certain minors from those parents who recognise the responsibility in their minors.

Yes, this is how I feel. If we always held children back from big risks, we would have no child prodigies. Some people just break the mold before they've lived on the planet for 18 years.

rewebster said:

I think most adults (us) don't meet or run into teens/minors that are that way---they're busy and not in 'our' circle normally
But as many professional sailors have said, these kids DO NOT have EXPERIENCE on the high seas. As was said, they should first sail these areas as an aprentice, THEN they can try it on their own, if they did well on previous voyages. They should not be going from sailing in calm waters close to shore to circumnavigating the globe.

Evo said:
But as many professional sailors have said, these kids DO NOT have EXPERIENCE on the high seas.
If that's the case, then the risk has nothing to do with their age; an inexperienced sailor is an inexperienced sailor.

Evo said:
But as many professional sailors have said, these kids DO NOT have EXPERIENCE on the high seas. As was said, they should first sail these areas as an aprentice, THEN they can try it on their own, if they did well on previous voyages. They should not be going from sailing in calm waters close to shore to circumnavigating the globe.

so, you're saying if she was eighteen, it would be OK?

She could have more experience on the water than Noah for all I/we know.

edit: and most parents hold back daughters a lot more than they hold back their sons.

Evo, you have a brother, right? I bet it seemed like he got to do more...

Edit:---I wonder if 'she' would have been a 'he' if this thread would be different...

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
If that's the case, then the risk has nothing to do with their age; an inexperienced sailor is an inexperienced sailor.
Inexperience and young age. Kids that age think they are immortal. They don't have enough life experience, no matter how "mature", combine that with a gross lack of experience with the type of sailing experience needed to sail around the world. I've really got to question what these parents are thinking.

russ_watters said:
Well first of all, you don't know much about me or whether I have any sailing experience,
I never said anything specifically about you. You are reading words that aren't there. But regardless, no one in this thread has yet demonstrated any deep knowledge of competitive trans-ocean sailing.

...but second, you act as if I'm pulling this out of thin air or that true experts in the field don't share such an opinion. But such opinions are easy to find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Watson#cite_ref-Tyler2009-11_29-0

Again, she collided with a container ship! She demonstrated her insufficient experience!
Switching goalposts. And you've bolded the wrong words: "She demonstrated her insufficient experience!" Your posts were not about a specific person but about parents of teenage record breakers in general, therefore not based on the insufficient experience of a specific person.

So I stand by my position:
1. The risk is not worth the reward - it is a bad idea.
The risk is clearly dependent on ability, which varies from person to person. If this is intended as a blanket statement about all teenagers/parents, it is meaningless.

Now that I read the story, I can see a serious problem:

The record is to be the youngest. The parameters of the self-made contest directly compete with gaining experience.

A 40 year old sailor can make his round the world attempt when he's 40, or 41, or scuttle it and do it when he's 42. Whatever he needs to ensure he maximizes his chances.

A 17 year old trying to be the youngest MUST go NOW, not NEXT year, not when the storm season abates, and most critically: not when they're sure their skills are up to it, but NOW.

So, they are DIRECTLY compromising their readiness.

And THAT's foolhardy.

I have a different moral concern with sending kids out into an open ocean like this. I wonder if it's right to place rescue people in a position where they might have to rescue, or even worse fail to rescue, a child. How much more risk will they be driven to take in a resue attempt? How much more guilt will they live with if they fail?

I wonder because personally I would have no trouble leaving a stupid rich adult dare-devil to his own fate if the risk of a rescue attempt went beyond a certain point. However, a young, brave girl following her dream would evoke different emotions. I might be willing to die to try and save her, both because I admire her and because I would not want to live with the guilt of leaving her to perish.

I can imagine the outrage some people will feel if a young girl does eventually die in one of these stunts. But, how much more outrage will there be if, in addition, a rescue plane or boat goes down while trying to save her?

should 16 year olds NOT drive cars then?

Look at the number of teens that are involved in accidents.

Should 16 year olds NOT be allowed to go into the 'Big City' by themselves?

Should it be the law that 16 year olds can't go to college because their too immature and lack the experience of being in such a immoral playground?

rewebster said:
should 16 year olds NOT drive cars then?

Look at the number of teens that are involved in accidents.

Should 16 year olds NOT be allowed to go into the 'Big City' by themselves?

Should it be the law that 16 year olds can't go to college because their too immature and lack the experience of being in such a immoral playground?

It is generally accpeted that learning to drive a car is something that can reasonably be done in a 16 yr old's world. Any 16 yr old's world.

It is generally accepted that making a round the world trip single-handed requires decade(s) of specialized experience.

This girl may be able to do it, but it is because she (unlike all her friends) is exceptional.

DaveC426913 said:
It is generally accpeted that learning to drive a car is something that can reasonably be done in a 16 yr old's world. Any 16 yr old's world.

It is generally accepted that making a round the world trip single-handed requires decade(s) of specialized experience.

This girl may be able to do it, but it is because she (unlike all her friends) is exceptional.

All or most people think they are exceptional.

All or most parents think that their kids are exceptional.

That is such a relief.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't mean to drag it off topic, but it is not in Any 16 yr old's world. Many countries have the legal driving age at 18 years old, because they find the average 16 year old too immature. If I understand it correctly the minimal driving age in New Jersey is 18 years as well.

Is this a new trend? Are we going to start having to waste resources on rescuing kids getting stranded in the middle of the ocean?
I say if you take a boat out into the middle of the OCEAN, you deserve to be left there if you get stranded.
If I one day build a rocket and fly to the moon and I can't get back, which I plan to do one day, I don't expect anyone to come get me.

I also think this is putting children in danger and the parents should be punished.

leroyjenkens said:
Is this a new trend? Are we going to start having to waste resources on rescuing kids getting stranded in the middle of the ocean?
Apparently this is a recent trend - kids setting the 'youngest' to ______ record. Abby's brother Zac circumnavigated the world in a sailboat last year.
http://www.zacsunderland.com/

I say if you take a boat out into the middle of the OCEAN, you deserve to be left there if you get stranded.
Some would agree, some not.
If I one day build a rocket and fly to the moon and I can't get back, which I plan to do one day, I don't expect anyone to come get me.
Best to make $25 million and pay for trip to ISS. The moon is more complicated - and much more expensive. Calculate the GJ required and multiply by the $/J necessary.

I also think this is putting children in danger and the parents should be punished.
If there is a criminal violation, certainly. If someone put up the funds to rescue Abby, then they can certainly sue/fine the parents.

It was irresponsible/reckless to attempt the southern ocean this time of year in that kind of boat. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
If someone put up the funds to rescue Abby, then they can certainly sue/fine the parents.

The Australians aren't charging for their air patrols. I don't know if the French will charge for their sea rescue. (See my link in my "Abby Sutherland's adventure" post. Russ Watters locked it because of this thread. I didn't recognize Jessica Watson's name.)

It was irresponsible/reckless to attempt the southern ocean this time of year in that kind of boat. :rolleyes:

Indeed. My particular peeve is that three French ships are on the way to rescue Abby. They hope to reach Abby's location sometime on Saturday June 12 GMT. I don't know how many personnel have been mobilized for the rescue, but they are risking their lives. This is very worst place to be at sea in June. The Antarctic convergence is furthest north a bit west of Abby's location, meaning the potential for particularly nasty winter storms. Couple this with the fact she is completely alone, unlike Jessica, and you have the makings of a potential maritime tragedy. I only hope nothing goes wrong with the rescue.

Last edited:
Jessica Watson's parents must be Very rich if they can afford to send their 16 year old daughter to sail around the world. Even that yacht alone would cost more than ten Ferrari 458..

Maybe Bill Gates can send his kids to become the world's first solo astronaut to the moon. I don't see much point tho..

Last edited:
Abby Sutherland was rescued this morning (6/12 GMT) by a French fishing vessel. The captain fell into the water but was also rescued. (AP story on the Yahoo Homepage)

SW VandeCarr said:
Abby Sutherland was rescued this morning (6/12 GMT) by a French fishing vessel. The captain fell into the water but was also rescued. (AP story on the Yahoo Homepage)

That's kinda funny. That's like getting something stuck in a tree and then throwing something else up there to knock it down, and then that thing gets stuck too.

Monique said:
I don't mean to drag it off topic, but it is not in Any 16 yr old's world. Many countries have the legal driving age at 18 years old, because they find the average 16 year old too immature. If I understand it correctly the minimal driving age in New Jersey is 18 years as well.

in alabama, i had a learner's permit at 15, and was driving at 16 unsupervised. for a motorcycle, i could have received a license at 14. in mississippi, my cousins were driving legally at [STRIKE]14[/STRIKE]15, and some not so legally a few years before that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
leroyjenkens said:
That's kinda funny. That's like getting something stuck in a tree and then throwing something else up there to knock it down, and then that thing gets stuck too.

It could have been much worse, and it's not over yet. As I've been saying, the region south of latitude 40 S between Africa and Australia is called the "Roaring Forties" for a good reason. The rescue vessels are not secure until they reach a safe port. There's no sane reason why anyone should be down there in the winter months in any kind of vessel unless it's absolutely necessary.

I find this disgusting.

Turns out that this stunt was for a reality tv show.

As Abby Sunderland spends her last day aboard a French fishing boat whose crew rescued her from a disabled sailboat and is ferrying her to an island in the Indian Ocean, criticism of her parents has intensified regarding -- most recently -- the high cost of the rescue and their involvement in a TV reality show.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/18016/stormy+seas+take+on+new+meaning+in+abby+sunderland+saga/

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I find this disgusting.

Turns out that this stunt was for a reality tv show.
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/18016/stormy+seas+take+on+new+meaning+in+abby+sunderland+saga/

These reality shows are full of nonsense, and I don't understand people's fascination with these kind of shows.

rootX said:
These reality shows are full of nonsense, and I don't understand people's fascination with these kind of shows.

I do. As our lives become more and more secure, what we do to entertain ourselves can become more and more frivolous. I remember the scene from Fahrenheit 451 where Montag's wife would watch her soap operas and bawl her eyes out. It seemed incongruous considering the hell Montag was going through, but I realized that the stability of her world acted to define her leisure activities.

People watch stupid, useless TV because they can. And they don't need to defend their choices to anyone.

Next. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/7913481/Dutch-girl-Laura-Dekker-wins-fight-to-sail-round-world-profile.html"

Astronuc said:

At any age.

rolerbe said:
At any age.
But when you have a reality tv deal to consider, you need to weigh your priorities.

reality TV deal > my daughter's life

:rolleyes: