Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jesus Camp

1. Jun 6, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm moving this to politics.

I don't want anyone offended, so let me know if you are upset and explain why. I'm still watching all of it, it's a long documentary.

Any discussions should be restricted to the mix of religion and politics, the impact on Science, impacts on what our schools can teach. I will not allow conversations critisizing anyone's personal beliefs or disparaging religions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. Jun 6, 2008 #3
    Can you give us a little sample of what it is about?

5. Jun 6, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"I want to see them [children] as radically laying down their lives for the gospel..."

"George Bush has brought credibility to the Christian faith"

"We've got to stand up and take back the land"

"I was saved when I was five. I wanted more from life"

I can't stand any more for now.

6. Jun 6, 2008 #5
    Sure, sorry I know it's long, and I'm almost put this in politics but I wasn't sure thanks Evo.

This is a documentary about an Evangelical Christian Bible camp for young kids. It unbiasedly shows the happenings at this camp and doesn't attempt to push any certain view. What is so sad is that by doing this the film shows how incredibly ------ these people are. In one scene they actually bring out a life-size cardboard cutout of Pres. Bush and made the children gather around it and and touch his feet like they were worshiping him. They dress the boy's up in army gear and give them fake guns and make them do a 'war dance' just like some radical Muslim's do with their kindergarteners.

But the worst part about this, the part that made me cry, is this very young incredibly intelligent boy who is trying so hard to 'feel the holy spirit' like all the other kids but can't (b/c the kids are obviously faking) and he is so torn and devastated because he believes that he is some sort of anti-Christ who is going straight to hell. AND NO ONE HELPS HIM. Not a single person can answer his heartfelt and sincere questions.

This is truly a very sad and terrifying and disgusting show case of what religion can become...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  7. Jun 6, 2008 #6
    How do people get to be so igornant?

HAHAHAHHAH!!! THE LADY SAID TO THE KIDS "We have too many christian grown ups that are FAT AND LAZY!" ~7:00

Talk about the Pot calling the kettle black! Shes out of her f'in mind.

8. Jun 6, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They went to Jesus camp?

I thought the same thing!

9. Jun 6, 2008 #8
    There is probably many more camps like these scattered all over the states. These kids are send there by their parents who influence them with these ----- values.

10. Jun 6, 2008 #9
    This woman talking to her son is as nuts as a KKK member! YIKES!

11. Jun 6, 2008 #10
    No, there are NOT many more scattered ALL over.

It's an aberration and a terrible one. Don't use it to stereotype.

12. Jun 6, 2008 #11

Evo

That was rather funny, considering she must weigh over 300 pounds.

13. Jun 6, 2008 #12
    Extremism on every side...I think that's a valuable lesson for everyone who believes the one-sided media. Imagine what would you feel if someone tried to say that most Christians or
    Americans are that ignorant and radical....ridiculous right? that's how I feel when I talk to some people who are heavily influenced by the media.

14. Jun 6, 2008 #13
    How's this not child abuse? Can those kids minds even be salvaged after this?

15. Jun 6, 2008 #14
    Hi Ahmed.

I've had many discussions with muslims during my coffeshop excursions, so I understand that the radical views we see expressed by some are not representative of muslims as a whole.

The problem many people including myself have is that we do not see a public Muslim movement to censor and/or restrict the crazy beliefs of radical muslims.

16. Jun 6, 2008 #15
    Yeah, but it'll be tough for a lot of them. Beyond what damage is done already, what makes me really sad is they'll likely have to endure misteachings for many more years before they're in a position to think for themselves. And then the struggle will begin and that will probably take several more years.

17. Jun 6, 2008 #16

Evo

The saddest part is that 75% of these kids are home schooled so that contact with normal people with normal viewpoints aren't even an option.

18. Jun 6, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't watched any of it yet, but how do you know it's not biased or staged? There has been a trend for "shockumentaries" for a while now and I would hardly consider them unbiased or even accurate, so before I take the time to watch (since everyone is commenting on the length), I need more convincing that there's a reason to watch this or a reason to think the worst of the worst examples weren't staged or cherry-picked to make it seem worse than reality.

19. Jun 6, 2008 #18
    Mmmmmmm yeah, you have to see it. It speaks for itself. Its very disturbing.

20. Jun 6, 2008 #19
    It has parts where there is some commentary but the majority of the film is straight footage of the 'normal' life in the camp. I assure you none of this is staged, these crazy would be doing they same exact things whether or not there was a camera there. That is the unbiased, and the horrible, part.

21. Jun 6, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter just ordered this film on Netflix - we'll watch it tonight. All this discussion (about the film, not the other stuff) has whet my appetite!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?