Jesus Camp: A Movie That Will Make You Cry

• News
  • Thread starter robertm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the film discusses an Evangelical Christian Bible camp and how some of the kids there are taught radical views about their religion and politics. The camp is shown to be a bad experience for the kids, with one boy crying because he believes he's going to hell. This is only one example of how religion can impact children negatively.
Sorry, no advertising allowed in links.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adeimantus said:
It has been noted that the movie Jesus Camp is rather propagandistic in its approach, so I thought I'd post this link for some balance. Here is the Reverend Becky Fischer being interviewed in her own element, where no one has used sneaky editing to make her look bad.

There are two parts, separated by an ad. There's also an ad for the children's ministry at the end. It's best if you watch it all the way through.

What balance is there to be had? Any camp where children go to wither their freethinking mentality is a disgrace and needs to be shut down.

Evo said:
Sorry, no advertising allowed in links.

Bummer. Can I just put the address in a post as text? That way it isn't technically a link, and people can just copy and paste?

LightbulbSun:

I think it was suggested at some point in this thread (it's been a while since I read it) that the movie had a general anti-Christian bias. Whether or not that is true, I was hoping this interview, which no one could claim to be biased against Christians, would provide the relevant info in about 25 minutes instead of 90 minutes or whatever the movie was.

Last edited:
Adeimantus said:
Bummer. Can I just put the address in a post as text? That way it isn't technically a link, and people can just copy and paste?
No, it's the same thing.

Evo said:
No, it's the same thing.

okay, maybe I can find a version without the ads somewhere.

update: well, dang it to heck, the youtube version has even more ads. Nevermind then. Since I have been left without a fig leaf to cover myself with, here is a cool David Bowie song with no ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxIhNOgwBE&feature=related

Last edited:
Evo said:
And they all work in my office. I've never worked in an office with so many people praying, laying on hands
Do you think that could work at the industrial tribunal ?
I was just laying hands on my secretary for Jesus!

Moonbear said:
Just from what people are posting here, it sounds highly biased, so I don't understand the claims that it is unbiased.

I saw this movie last year and in my estimation Moonbear's guess was dead-on and I agree with Adeimantus. I'm an atheist myself but I have many Christian friends and acquaintances, some of whom are Evangelicals and a few I know to be Young Earth Creationists.

I think that movie is pretty obviously intentionally cut so that it never shows the people in it doing or saying anything normal and so that you don't see the kids at the camp doing any of the things that might happen at a secular summer camp. It appears to me designed to exclusively portray, as the entirety of their identity, as many non-mainstream religious beliefs as possible. And I think it's cut and laid out in an attempt to ensure that unless the viewer has similar beliefs he or she doesn't develop any empathy or find any common ground with the people depicted.

Yeah, people are weird in all sorts of different ways. Some things about the kinds of beliefs these people hold are bad IMO but I don't think that trying to maximize distrust and intolerance serves any purpose - we ought to be trying to understand why they think the things they do, not dismiss it as a simple matter of incomprehensible brainwashed craziness. What this movie tries to do seems like the same attitude as "Muslims just hate freedom and America - it's in their religion, it's part of their culture!"

Last edited:
CaptainQuasar said:
I think that movie is pretty obviously intentionally cut so that it never shows the people in it doing or saying anything normal and so that you don't see the kids at the camp doing any of the things that might happen at a secular summer camp. It appears to me designed to exclusively portray, as the entirety of their identity, as many non-mainstream religious beliefs as possible. And I think it's cut and laid out in an attempt to ensure that unless the viewer has similar beliefs he or she doesn't develop any empathy or find any common ground with the people depicted.

Yeah. And what's funny about that is it's completely unnecessary. If you want to be freaked out by Becky Fischer, all you have to do is listen to her talk about herself and her activities in an unedited format. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. There was plenty disturbing material in the interview I wanted to link to without the need for editing and voice overs that make misleading generalizations about Evangelicals as a whole. It is true that the stuff portrayed in Jesus Camp is not mainstream Christianity, or even mainstream Evangelical Christianity. But it's also not even close to being confined to Becky Fischer. The http://www.globalharvest.org/index.asp?action=about movement has gained popularity among numerous Pentecostal/Charismatic churches. What is significant about this movement is their explicit intent to take dominion over all aspects of public life, including government and education. And they are raising up an army of young people (their description) to do it. This is not about talking in tongues and laying on of hands. While that stuff isn't my bag, it is largely irrelevant. But this idea of "taking dominion" has real world implications. I seriously doubt that they will succeed in their goals, but the idea that someone who is sympathetic to their goals might attain high public office is still uncomfortable for me.

Some of their literature:
http://www.arsenalbooks.com/category/72/1

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptainQuasar said:
Yeah, people are weird in all sorts of different ways. Some things about the kinds of beliefs these people hold are bad IMO but I don't think that trying to maximize distrust and intolerance serves any purpose - we ought to be trying to understand why they think the things they do, not dismiss it as a simple matter of incomprehensible brainwashed craziness. What this movie tries to do seems like the same attitude as "Muslims just hate freedom and America - it's in their religion, it's part of their culture!"

Ignorance can be cured, willful ignorance can't.

LightbulbSun said:
Ignorance can be cured, willful ignorance can't.

I guess I regard the attitude of this film - going out of your way to portray or regard a certain group of people as a bunch of incomprehensible wackos with no redeeming or sympathetic qualities - as a form of willful ignorance. Willful ignorance they're intentionally trying to spread to others.

Locked. This has gone from discussion of the film to judgements on different religious sects.