Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jet Blue

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Jet Blue is outsourcing maintenance to El Salvador

145 People traveling on Jet Blue can thank a skilled pilot for avoiding what could have been a tragedy yesterday.

Jet Blue is one of the airlines which out sources the maintenance of its planes to unlicensed mechanics in El Salvador.

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=13225

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oddly enough... wanna take a guess at what their original emergency landing site was going to be before LAX?

Yup, can't throw politics into everything now can you...

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Edward, no where in that article does it say anything about plane maintenance. Where did you read about maintenance?

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And i'll spoil the fun. Original emergency landing site (according to the news at the time so may not be accurate) was the JetBlue maintanence facility in ... burbank?

But then again they may have meant the maintenence facility at JFK... now im kinda confused.

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5
    I'm not getting into the outsourcing issue...

I just think the highly trained flight attendants also deserve credit for their role in protecting the passengers in an emergency landing.

(Oh, fyi, Northwest is planning on laying off 1400 American flight attendants and outsourcing at least some of them to East Asians.)

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah... too bad you can't have highly paid skillful employs right after you just filed bankruptcy.

Airline industry is a pretty dumb place to play those kinda political blame games. Not exactly a thriving industry.

8. Sep 22, 2005 #7

Evo

I see where they are laying off the flight attendants, but I don't see where they are hiring anyone to replace them. Do you have a link?

9. Sep 22, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They are probably replacing them on international flights.

I find it funny that since the media fooled everyone into thinken outsourcing was a new phenomenon, everything has to be turned political and called outsourcing. I wonder if anyone has any proof that the Jetblue JFK facility doesn't exist and that all maintanence work is being done in el salvador.

10. Sep 22, 2005 #9
    No, sorry, I caught it on CNN when I was leaving work this morning.

11. Sep 22, 2005 #10
    You're right, outsourcing has been around for decades. Why, back in the eighties GM laid off a bunch of American workers and moved the plants to Mexico (and wrote themselves fat checks).

If it's good enough for Flynt, Michigan, it's good enough for the rest of the country.

:rolleyes:

12. Sep 22, 2005 #11

Evo

I blame unions for a large portion of the outsourcing done. Unions tend be be incredibly short sighted and stupid.

The demand by American consumers for ever cheaper services led to the outsourcing of technical support jobs. American workers that were willing to work for minimum wage usually weren't smart enough to do the job. Americans have no one to blame but themselves for what has happened to jobs here.

13. Sep 22, 2005 #12
    Almost all, of Jet Blues maintenance is done in El Salvador. Most of the Airlines are outsourcing maintenance. Few of El Salvador's mechanics are FAA certified. And it was such a cute picture with that planes nose wheels pointing sideways, I just couldn't resist.
    I started a thread on airline maintenance outsourcing sometime back.

The big throrn im my side is the jobs we are losing. But then we always have Walmart and McDonalds.

For every plane they service we get an extra eggroll :smile: , But we lose a lot of Jobs. :mad:

14. Sep 22, 2005 #13

Evo

Get rid of the unions. They protect the jobs of the incompetant. They prevent their workers from doing their jobs to the best of their ability. Ever work for a company that had union workers? The union will have the company agree to allot a certain length of time to a type of job function. So, employee A gets a job order, she's not busy and could get it done in 2 hours, but if she does that, and does it often, then the union won't be able to justify that length of time from the company, so instead of working, employee A eats donuts, calls into radio contests, talks to friends on the phone, shops online, then right before her 72 hours is up she'll pick up the work order. Of course she won't understand it and will reject it back asking for clarification, which starts the whole process over again. I've seen projects that should have been completed in two days take 8 months due to union workers...consistently. The workers are told this gives them job security. This is financial death for a company.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  15. Sep 22, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm not sure how the claim "Almost all, of Jet Blues maintenance is done in El Salvador." is verified by a different company sending a fraction of its aircraft maintenance jobs to a Chinese company.

16. Sep 22, 2005 #15
    "Get rid of the unions" is far too simple. Then it would be balanced back to pre-union times when workers could be exploited far too easily. The problem is there are now unions that encompass many businesses. It's companies that are too big for unions, like McDonalds, and unions that are too big for a small business to handle that cause problems. Meh. Capitalist flaw. You could try to balance union power and business power... you could try.

17. Sep 22, 2005 #16

Evo

Most succesful companies are non-union and the employess are actually happier (in my experience, don't know if actual studies have been made). There are labor laws now to protect workers that didn't exist before unions. Unions had a purpose at one time, they've outlived their purpose.

Of course unions are major problems in the airline and automotive industries IMHO. Outsourcing tech support and customer service is part of the drive by consumers for lower cost products and services and by shareholders for larger profits.

18. Sep 22, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The one thing we all need to realize is that everything business does is our fault. Sure they outsource tech support but no one seems to protesting the ol capitalist way by not purchasing goods from that company. Its nice to fatten up your profit margin by outsourcing but they do it because they know consumers really don't care enough to put their money where their mouth is. If they thought doing so would cut into sales... well whats the point of increasing your profit margin if you lose 30% of your sales globally.

I agree with Evo though.... one, because shes so dreamy :!!) :!!) :!!)

And two because "exploitation" in the 20's and the year 2000 is a vastly different idea. In the 20s, its dangerous work, a few cents a day of work, physical abuse, etc. In the year 2000, "exploitation" is paying people only 50x the internatioanl poverty limit instead of 55x or not having ergonomic seating (exagerations but isn't far off from the correct comparison).

19. Sep 22, 2005 #18
    yes 70% is a fraction isn't it? The Jet Blue facility at JFK is officially called a "technical operations campus" Which basically means that we still get to wash the planes and check the tire pressure, but nothing in the line of heavy maintenance is done.

The Union for Northwest mechanics allowed that airline to outsource heavy maintenance several years ago. And the heavy maintenance ,engine rebuilding ect, is the lions share of the cost of maintenance. Using Northwest, and the unions as a constant justification for outsourcing is casting a blind eye on the reality that this country is being run by big business, for big business.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/printme.php?url=/news04/2005/airline_maintenance.html

20. Sep 22, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hmm... JetBlue's fleet is not exactly aging (one of their tactics is to have as new of aircraft in operation as possible) and your opinion on what the JFK site doesn't really hold water.

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  21. Sep 22, 2005 #20

Evo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?