Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Jet Engine Inlet Distortion

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    (This is a homework/lab assignment but thought it better suits in this category)

Hi,

This is a scaled model and I am given the pressure tap locations on each rakes. Also given is the pressure data.

Inlet distortion formula is given by: Pdist = (Pmax - Pmin)/Pavg

Question is to find the "total distortion across fan face", "radial distortion" and each "circumferential distortion".

I would appreciate it if some one gives me an insight about the problem and tell me what those terms mean? Which directions are those? I am having a hard time because the topic is not covered in my text.

Thank you,

Neo

(Undergrad Aero class)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    I don't know what it is, but I figured it out from reading your post. I think you should do a little more thinking. The answer is right there, trust me.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

First things first, do you understand the concept of inlet distortion?

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    Exactly! You know my problem.
    I have no idea what they are talking about!
    What's distortion and what's it got to do with pressure? (Google search results in very unrelated concepts)

Neo

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Here's a very basic exerpt from Heiser & Pratt's Aircraft Engine Design

Attached Files:

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    I see.
    So I can just use the formula.
    Radial distortion: use data for same rake, different taps (from center to outwards)
    Circumferential: same pressure tap, different rakes
    Across fan face: ???

What are some typical values for inlet distortion?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  8. Mar 17, 2009 #7
    This sentence makes me cringe. "Ok, so its fine if I plug and chug away"....

From looking at your formula (and never having seen it before in my life) I can say that it looks like its a metric to see the quality of the flow. If the flow is good (i.e. highly uniform), then the distortion pressure is zero. That would mean the pressure is the same average value anywhere and everywhere. Pressure is related to velocity along streamlines. If they all have the same pressure, then its uniform inflow at the same speed.

This equation appears as a pseudo 'variance' of the flow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Standard_deviation_illustration.gif [Broken]

I think you have more than enough knowledge to infer and deduce whats going on yourself. Part of your process in becoming an engineer is to learn how to think and solve things for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Mar 18, 2009 #8
    I've calculated the distortions and submitted the assignment. I got numbers like 0.00196 (fan face). But I have no idea if its correct because I have no reference. I'll figure out when I get it back.

Thanks for help Cyrus and FredGarvin.

Neo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook