Jet Engine Inlet Distortion

In summary, the pressure data is distorted across the fan face due to inlet distortion. Radial distortion is calculated by taking data from different taps and using the formula given. Circumferential distortion is calculated by taking data from the same pressure tap and using different rakes. Across fan face distortion is unknown.
PhysMaster
(This is a homework/lab assignment but thought it better suits in this category)

Hi,

This is a scaled model and I am given the pressure tap locations on each rakes. Also given is the pressure data.

Inlet distortion formula is given by: Pdist = (Pmax - Pmin)/Pavg

Question is to find the "total distortion across fan face", "radial distortion" and each "circumferential distortion".

I would appreciate it if some one gives me an insight about the problem and tell me what those terms mean? Which directions are those? I am having a hard time because the topic is not covered in my text.

Thank you,

Neo

(Undergrad Aero class)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what it is, but I figured it out from reading your post. I think you should do a little more thinking. The answer is right there, trust me.

First things first, do you understand the concept of inlet distortion?

Exactly! You know my problem.
I have no idea what they are talking about!
What's distortion and what's it got to do with pressure? (Google search results in very unrelated concepts)

Neo

Here's a very basic exerpt from Heiser & Pratt's Aircraft Engine Design

Attachments

• Inlet Distortion-Heiser&Pratt.JPG
    Inlet Distortion-Heiser&Pratt.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 878
I see.
So I can just use the formula.
Radial distortion: use data for same rake, different taps (from center to outwards)
Circumferential: same pressure tap, different rakes
Across fan face: ?

What are some typical values for inlet distortion?

Last edited:
I see.
So I can just use the formula.

This sentence makes me cringe. "Ok, so its fine if I plug and chug away"...

From looking at your formula (and never having seen it before in my life) I can say that it looks like its a metric to see the quality of the flow. If the flow is good (i.e. highly uniform), then the distortion pressure is zero. That would mean the pressure is the same average value anywhere and everywhere. Pressure is related to velocity along streamlines. If they all have the same pressure, then its uniform inflow at the same speed.

This equation appears as a pseudo 'variance' of the flow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Standard_deviation_illustration.gif [Broken]

I think you have more than enough knowledge to infer and deduce what's going on yourself. Part of your process in becoming an engineer is to learn how to think and solve things for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've calculated the distortions and submitted the assignment. I got numbers like 0.00196 (fan face). But I have no idea if its correct because I have no reference. I'll figure out when I get it back.

Thanks for help Cyrus and FredGarvin.

Neo

1. What is jet engine inlet distortion?

Jet engine inlet distortion refers to the non-uniform airflow entering the engine due to external disturbances such as wind, turbulence, or aircraft maneuvers. This can cause changes in pressure, temperature, and velocity, which can affect the engine's performance and efficiency.

2. How does inlet distortion affect jet engine performance?

Inlet distortion can cause uneven fuel-air mixture, leading to variations in engine thrust and fuel consumption. It can also reduce the engine's stall margin, increasing the risk of compressor surge. In extreme cases, it can cause engine damage or flameout.

3. What are the common sources of inlet distortion?

The most common sources of inlet distortion are atmospheric disturbances such as wind gusts, wake turbulence from other aircraft, and changes in air density due to altitude or weather conditions. Engine design and aircraft maneuvers can also contribute to inlet distortion.

4. How do engineers mitigate the effects of inlet distortion?

Engineers use various techniques to minimize the effects of inlet distortion, such as designing the engine and inlet to be more tolerant of non-uniform airflow, using flow straighteners or bleed valves to reduce turbulence, and optimizing engine control systems to compensate for changes in airflow.

5. What are the potential risks of not addressing inlet distortion?

If not properly managed, inlet distortion can lead to reduced engine performance, increased fuel consumption, and potential engine damage or failure. It can also affect the aircraft's stability and control, compromising flight safety. Therefore, it is crucial to address inlet distortion in jet engine design and operation.