Building a Small Jet Engine: Experiences & Parts

In summary, the conversation discussed building a small jet engine, with some people sharing their experiences and mentioning specific models such as the dynajet and Treco TG-301-1. The homebuilt models are often external can burners based on turbochargers. One person was interested in a simpler and smaller project, possibly the Shreckling jet engine. They also asked about the suitability of the Treco engine for ultralight or experimental aircraft.
Shawnzyoo
Has anyone here ever built a small Jet engine?
Just generally interested in how you did it
and from what parts
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I work with them almost every day. What exactly are you looking for?

The home built models are usually external can burners based on turbochargers. If you do a google search for homebuilt jets you'll find quite a few web pages dedicated to the topic.

My dad and uncle used to build ram jet engines for free flight and u-control models (ahh the 50's and 60's when you could get stuff a lot easier). I remember them mentioning something called a dynajet engine (?) for freeflight, u-control and older R/C aricraft? I'm not sure whether googling that will help in the info search though.

i am looking into more of a Shreckling jet engine
as a simpler and smaller beginner project possibly

I am searching for some info on the Treco TG-301-1 jet engine, it was featured in the Feb. 1956 Popular Science magazine, and was a "School Project" engine for machining schools and A & P schools. I found a blurry set of plans on ebay, but was wondering if anyone knew of one, or for it's suitability as an ultralite/experimental power plant.

1. What materials are needed to build a small jet engine?

To build a small jet engine, you will need a variety of materials such as metal tubing, sheet metal, high-temperature alloys, bearings, seals, and electronic components. Depending on the design and complexity of the engine, you may also need specialized tools and machining equipment.

2. How long does it take to build a small jet engine?

The time it takes to build a small jet engine can vary greatly depending on your level of experience, the complexity of the design, and the availability of materials. Some people may be able to complete the project in a few months, while others may take a year or more. It is important to plan and budget your time accordingly.

3. Can I build a small jet engine without any prior experience?

While it is not impossible to build a small jet engine without any prior experience, it is highly recommended that you have some background knowledge in mechanics, engineering, and/or aviation. Building a jet engine requires a high level of technical skill and precision, so it may be challenging for someone with no prior experience to complete the project successfully.

4. How much does it cost to build a small jet engine?

The cost of building a small jet engine can vary greatly depending on the design and materials used. On average, it can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000 or more. It is important to research and budget for all the necessary materials and tools before starting the project.

5. Can I use a small jet engine for a real aircraft?

It is not recommended to use a homemade small jet engine for a real aircraft. These engines are not certified for flight and may not meet safety standards. It is best to use them for educational purposes or as a hobby project. If you are interested in building a jet engine for a real aircraft, it is essential to consult with professionals and follow all necessary regulations and guidelines.