Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Jet Propulsion Books

1. Feb 6, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know of some decent books for Gas Turbines/ Jet Propulsion?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

These should help get you started.

AIAA Electronic articles on Gas Turbines - http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=406

Aerothermodynamics of Gas Turbine and Rocket Propulsion
    by Gordon C. Oates, 3rd Edition (a classic text, update 1997) - I have 2nd Ed. 1984.

Aerothermodynamics of Aircraft Engine Components
    Gordon C. Oates (Editor), 1985

Aircraft Propulsion Systems Technology and Design
    Gordon C. Oates (Editor), 1989

Also, any aerospace engineers or students - I highly recommend joining American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

For those interested in 'air breathing' jet engines - check out The Air Breathing Propulsion Technical Committee

Check out other AIAA technical committees at - http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=192
  4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I guess it depends on what level of detail you're looking for. A couple of books are:

Jet Propulsion by Nicholas Cumpsty (for a general overview/introduction that gives some pretty decent information).

Aircraft Gas Turbine Powerplants by Charles Otis. ISBN 0-89100-255-3. This is a great nuts and bolts book for a really good price. It has good system schematics and is written in an intermediate level. Not a whole lot of theory.

Gas Turbine Theory by Cohen, Rogers & Saravanmuttoo. ISBN 0-582-23632-0. Like the title implies, it is the bread and butter theory of component and performance engineering. A pretty in depth book. I love this book.

Hope this helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?