Why is Jetman flying alongside airplanes and fighter jets?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary, Jetman! is an incredible video that will leave viewers wanting to try the experience for themselves. The video features a Swiss man who has spent his life passion flying, building and testing wings that allow him to fly at speeds over 200km/hr. Finally, his dream of flying alongside airplanes becomes a reality, thanks to 4 model-engines he built himself.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jetman! Individual flight

...Following a line of predecessors of flying men, this Swiss man who's lifetime passion is flying, once flew for the Swiss army at the commands of the Mirage III, then went on to fly as captain on Airbuses, and now has not only created and developed wings which allow him to fly, but also built and personally tested them over the past 7 years.

Finally, and this since last Autumn, his dream became reality mainly because of 4 model-engines which were built under his wings. With these, he can fly at over 200km/hr at the conquest of mountain summits. During the flight, Yves's body becomes the likes of a bird and other than a gas handle, Yves does not pilot his wings but veritably flies it, by using various light body movements that he has learned to handle with perfection. These body movements are equal to those that birds use to fly...

And like Batman, when he flies alongside airplanes they can only look and admire him when he activates the acceleration button which makes him disappear at an incredible speed through the blue skies. [continued]
http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html

Watch the video. Incredible!

I want I want I want...now! now! now! :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ohhhh ahhhhhhhh that does look like fun!

WOW!

Ausgezeichnet!

That's bloody impressive! Especially the stability. Hopefully the engines are reliable. I wonder how it handles a 2-1 if one motor fails?

Yeah, I want one too!

Not something for Evo.

All I can say is Effin' A! I have so many questions I'd like to ask him. But first, I want to ride! Astro is right on. What an achievement.

What a blast! Sign me up!

Holly smokes..
Fantastic.
Watching the movie,at one point I even thought the Jetman would return on the board of the plane while flying next to it.
But when reconsidering the idea I guess that would be too dangeorus stunt .

AHHYYIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Unbelievable!

O_____O
awesome!

I want to try it!

that's amazing

Is he just using weight shifts for control? I didn't see any movable surfaces on the wings. Sure seemed stable and in control though!

tehno said:
Holly smokes..
Fantastic.
Watching the movie,at one point I even thought the Jetman would return on the board of the plane while flying next to it.
But when reconsidering the idea I guess that would be too dangeorus stunt .
I think there would be too much turbulence in the wake.

I wonder how easy it is to do a roll.

Of course, I'd like one with a long range and high ceiling. :biggrin:

Or shoot the works and go suborbital. :tongue2:

Re Berke: The only mechanical control that he has is a throttle and body movements.

This almost qualifies as a sci-fi superhero device. Measured on the pucker-meter, this has to rate as one of the greatest inventions of all time.

Astronuc said:
Or shoot the works and go suborbital. :tongue2:

Give it some time, and somebody will probably try this with solid rocket boosters.

berkeman said:
Is he just using weight shifts for control? I didn't see any movable surfaces on the wings. Sure seemed stable and in control though!
"During the flight, Yves's body becomes the likes of a bird and other than a gas handle, Yves does not pilot his wings but veritably flies it, by using various light body movements that he has learned to handle with perfection. These body movements are equal to those that birds use to fly..."

The banking seemed smooth.

Also -
Yves is actually occupied to develop a second wing with ascensionnal and aerobatics capacities.
:tongue2: :cool:

I want some wings of carbon! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Give it some time, and somebody will probably try this with solid rocket boosters.
A big bottle rocket and a parachute. :rofl:

Can you say JATO?

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html

Watch the video. Incredible!

I want I want I want...now! now! now! :tongue2:

Oh my god...

AHAHAHAHHA, impressionnant!

I am surprised we haven't seen this in a James Bond movie yet.

I think it's too new to be in a James Bond movie.

Jet-Cat is the manufacturer of the propulsion motors.

http://www.jet-cat.de/index-Dateien/index.htm

I found different sites for JetCat or Jet-Cat, but I am not sure of the affiliations. Apparently there are various models of turbines for large aircraft models.

http://66.193.186.18/jetcat/galleries.asp

As far as I can tell, each motor is about $2-3K

I've seen those motors before. They're simple beasts but a very nice little package.

On a side note: I sent this link to a couple of co-workers here. It has since made it's way to every corner of the building. I can't say I have ever started an e-mail chain like that before.

Very amazing, and awe inspiring. Wow...

FredGarvin said:
On a side note: I sent this link to a couple of co-workers here. It has since made it's way to every corner of the building. I can't say I have ever started an e-mail chain like that before.
I imagine that such a personal jet would be very appealing to those in the aerospace/aeronautical community.
:rofl:

They say their next goal is a take off... I definitely wouldn't want to be near the ground with those engines going. :bugeye:

I wonder about the take-off because wearing that a person isn't going to be running fast. I wonder what the take-off speed is because a person can't run much more than 10-15 mph. Take-off would be the most dangerous part since there is little room for error and hitting the ground much above a good run could produce serious injury or death.

That is a problem. Even if you managed to take off from a free-rolling cart on rails, the risk of a face-plant at 100+ mph would be daunting. I guess he could install rocket engines instead of the jets to get enough thrust for vertical take-offs, though the transition to level flight might be hairy, too.

I wonder how long would it be till you could buy one of these from the market.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
They say their next goal is a take off... I definitely wouldn't want to be near the ground with those engines going. :bugeye:

It's been done before...the Flying Bedsterad
Otherwise known as the Rolls-Royce Thrust-Measuring Rig (TMR), an experimental aircraft that was first flown on Aug. 2, 1954

I've asked Santa for Jetman wings. :smile:

Garth

Truly amazing. I definitely want some. So, now that we've seen it and know something of how it works, who's for pooling talent and building us some? Maybe we can convince Businessman to lend us a corner of his haunted factory, and Fred can cobble up some engines, and there are more than enough aeronautical engineers kicking around here... :biggrin:

I can foresee an interesting twist on the 'mile-high club' in the near future.

dontdisturbmycircles said:

It seems like a better next goal would be a base-jump takeoff. That's what they'll use in the next James Bond movie, I'd bet. Seems like they'll need a small APU to spin up the turbines before jumping, though. Does anybody know if those neat little engines have the capability to spin up under external power?

Yes, those are model airplane engines. You can't spin one of those things up to 100,000 RPM without a starter.

Ahhhyieeeeeeeeeeee! :rofl:

This guy is going to be a millionaire now selling his invention to the US government. Hes a lucky guy, fighter pilot, 747 captain, etc. This guy must have an ass-load of cash from being a 747 pilot, they get paid top dollar. Lucky...

Last edited:
It would seem that VTOL would be the best method of taking off and landing... but then you're back to the problem of a conventional jet pack, where the amount of thrust required is too large to be achieved using conventional methods... or perhaps vertical takeoff and parachute landing...

berkeman said:
It seems like a better next goal would be a base-jump takeoff.

Yea. Could be disastrous though since you are being accelerated quite fast, the ground would come up pretty quick if you accidentally fell the wrong way and started spinning or something. I wonder if these things will be improved to that point. Would take a lot of guts to do that, haha.

I still want to buy myself a personal lightweight helicopter a few years down the road. lol http://www.ama.lv/air/img/xe-4.jpg :!)