Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Jewish Aid Ship From Cyprus To Gaza

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/09/26/gaza.aid.ship/index.html?hpt=T2

Hmmm... this isn't going to end well. Cyprus has to be pissed, and Israel isn't going to care who it is... why does everyone have their pet-point to make using the Palestinians? Whether it's "**** you Israel," from a European group, or "Arab Solidarity," from an Arab group, and now "Not all Jews support this policy," this kind of thing is such self-aggrandizing crap. I suppose the internal logic is that this brings attention to a particular issue, but I just don't buy that as an effective means of changing policy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    It's a good way to keep the plight of the Palestinian people in the public eye.

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    It seems like a waste of money to do it this way... surely you could buy TV and print ad space for the kind of money this takes, and without angering Cyprus AND Israel in one go. I'm not going to debate the plight, or not, of the Palestinians, but given that (however ineffective) peace talks are in the media lately, this seems needless. The president just gave a speech talking about his belief that the Palestinian people need a separate state to the UN... this is hardly on par.

The message I get here is the one espoused by the people manning the ship, "we're Jews who don't have anything against the Palestinians", which shouldn't be an argument anyone has to make. This is a state issue with religious elements, not a religious issue with state elements. I see this as a selfish attempt to alleviate some kind of perceived stigma, and by doing so, helping to reinforce a truly silly notion.

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The amount of media coverage one of these boats gets would cost way more than the boat+supplies. For example, no amount of money spent on advertisements would have gotten you to make a thread here talking about the subject.

And do you think they really care if Israel and Cyprus are mad at them?

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    and then there is the point of view that these are human beings, and they are being made to suffer needlessly. if the israelis are determined to block shipments of "children's toys, musical instruments, textbooks, fishing nets and prosthetic limbs", then something is obviously morally wrong with them.

7. Sep 26, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's an obvious strawman, Proton Soup, as I'm sure you are well aware neither of those are the point of the blockade.

8. Sep 26, 2010 #7
    then explain why the blockade will not allow these items to enter

9. Sep 26, 2010 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there is little argument that the last flotilla stunt (in May) was the prime mover for the more relaxed blockade policy announced by Israel in June (permitting virtually all non-military goods into Gaza, following inspection).

10. Sep 26, 2010 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Again, that is a false characterization of what is happening and is therefore an unanswerable question.

11. Sep 26, 2010 #10
    Yeah, I'm really not trying to get into a debate like this... again, which I'm now saying for the second time in as many posts.

12. Sep 27, 2010 #11
    it would seem you have a small point, given what gokul43201 points out. that the blockade restrictions were eased since the flotilla incident in May.

but, that was a positive outcome, and i am sure you would agree that it (relaxing blockade restrictions) was the morally correct thing to do.

13. Sep 27, 2010 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

russ's point does not have to do with the easing of the blockade, but the fact that while ships aren't allowed to head straight into Gaza, they can land in Israel where their goods are inspected, at which point the goods are moved into Gaza.

Don't confuse "cannot dock there" with "cannot get goods there"

14. Sep 27, 2010 #13
    yeah, but it was an act of defiance that led to the restrictions being eased. it is apparent that the method is sound for getting policies changed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook