JFET Current Source: Understanding & Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a current source in chapter 4 of "The Art of Electronics" that consists of two NFETs, with the bottom one connected to ground and the top one acting as a buffer between the current source and the load. The book mentions that IDSS must be larger for the top transistor and there is a discussion about calculations for FETs compared to BJTs.
marc.orr
Hello, I'm trying to brush up on my analog electronics a bit. I've been studying "The Art of Electronics".

In chapter 4 they show a jfet current source. It consists of two nfets. The source of the top one is connected to the drain of the bottom one. Both have their gates connected to ground. The bottom fet has its source connected to ground through a resistor. The drain of the top fet is where the load is connected.

It seems pretty straightforward. I just don't understand the calculations of it.

1) First of all, the book says that IDSS has to be larger for the top transistor than for the bottom one. Why is this?

2) General FET calculation question: In a bjt you know that there is a .7 volt drop between base and emitter and this makes calculations very straight forward. For the FET, i understand that the drain and source current depend on the voltage between the gate and the source. How do you know the voltage at the source?

Thanks for everyone's time.

-Marc Orr

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the bottom FET the source is connected to ground, so the gate-source voltage is zero and that is why the FET current is IDSS (Drain current with gate-source short circuited). This is the current source.
The upper FET is operating normally. Its source has a positive voltage and its gate is grounded, so Vgs < 0. It seems that it operates as a buffer between the current source and the load.

Hello Marc,

I'm glad to hear that you're brushing up on your analog electronics and studying "The Art of Electronics"! The JFET current source you described is a common configuration and understanding its calculations can definitely help improve your understanding of analog circuits.

To answer your questions:

1) The reason for having a larger IDSS for the top transistor is to ensure that it operates in the saturation region. When a JFET is in saturation, the drain current is relatively independent of the drain-source voltage. This allows the current source to have a relatively constant output current regardless of changes in the load resistance. If the IDSS for the bottom transistor was larger, it would not operate in saturation and the output current would vary significantly with changes in the load resistance.

2) Calculating the voltage at the source of a JFET can be a bit more complex compared to a BJT. In a BJT, the base-emitter voltage is typically constant at around 0.7V, making calculations simpler. However, in a JFET, the gate-source voltage can vary depending on the biasing conditions and the characteristics of the JFET. To determine the voltage at the source, you would need to use the voltage divider equation (Vs = VDD * (R1/(R1+R2)) where R1 is the drain resistor and R2 is the source resistor) or use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drop across the source resistor.

I hope this helps clarify the calculations for the JFET current source. Keep studying and practicing, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any further questions! Best of luck.

1. What is a JFET current source?

A JFET (Junction Field Effect Transistor) current source is a type of electronic circuit that uses a JFET as the controlling device to provide a constant current output. It is commonly used in electronic devices and circuits that require a stable and accurate current source.

2. How does a JFET current source work?

A JFET current source works by using the unique properties of a JFET, such as its high input impedance and ability to maintain a constant voltage between its drain and source terminals, to regulate the flow of current through the circuit. By adjusting the gate-source bias voltage, the JFET can maintain a constant current output regardless of changes in load resistance.

3. What are the advantages of using a JFET current source?

One of the main advantages of a JFET current source is its ability to provide a stable and precise current output, making it ideal for applications that require accurate current regulation. It also has a relatively simple circuit design and is easy to adjust and fine-tune. Additionally, JFETs are known for their low noise and high input impedance, making them suitable for use in sensitive electronic circuits.

4. How do you calculate the current output of a JFET current source?

The current output of a JFET current source can be calculated using Ohm's law, where current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In this case, the voltage is the gate-source bias voltage and the resistance is the load resistance. The current can also be calculated using the JFET's transconductance (gm) and the input voltage (Vgs), where I = gm x Vgs.

5. What are some common applications of JFET current sources?

JFET current sources are commonly used in electronic devices and circuits that require a stable and accurate current source, such as voltage regulators, electronic test equipment, and biasing circuits for amplifiers and sensors. They are also used in low noise applications, such as audio amplifiers and measurement equipment.