1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

JFET question

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    I have a problem of calculating the current through a system. It is a simple JFET transistor with the source grounded. The gate is reverse biased with a 3v potential, and the drain has a 2000 ohm resistor in series then a positive 20v potential in series which is of course grounded. How would I go about finding the current through the load resistor?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2
    ...Assuming an n-type Si transistor

Also I dont have any other information.. I know that the more and more you apply a negative voltage on the gate, the smaller the channel gets which leads to more resistance across the source-drain channel. The answer Im lookin for is 2mA.. that would lead to a resistance of 8000 ohms, cause we still have a 2000 ohm resistor in series therefore 10000 ohm and with a voltage across the source-drain channel of 20 volts.. you get your 2mA answer, I dont see how you can get this bridge voltage without knowing something about a family of curves or the like???

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?