Jib Crane Design: Calculating Bending Stress on Column

In summary, a jib crane is a type of crane that has a horizontal arm attached to a vertical column, allowing for circular movement of the load. Calculating bending stress on the column is crucial in jib crane design to ensure structural integrity and safety. Factors such as load weight, jib arm length and angle, as well as the type of connection between the jib and column, can affect bending stress. Bending stress can be calculated using the formula sigma = My/I, with the bending moment being the product of the load and distance from the column to the point of support on the jib arm. The maximum allowable bending stress for a jib crane column varies depending on the material and dimensions, and it is important to consult
kliffyy
how do i determine the bending stresss on the vertical column?? i already have the bending stress on the horizontal member due to a load of 4000lbs..and i have the bucling st or compressive stress on the column.i was told that the column undegoes both compressive and bending stress.. is the bending stress caused by the same bending moment on the horizontal arm??

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the bending moment in the vertical column be equal and opposite to the bending moment in the horizontal arm at the connection point?

1. What is a jib crane and how does it work?

A jib crane is a type of crane that has a horizontal arm, called a jib, attached to a vertical column or wall. The jib can rotate to move the load in a circular motion. The load is lifted and lowered using a hoist or winch attached to the jib.

2. Why is it important to calculate bending stress on the column in jib crane design?

Calculating the bending stress on the column is important because it helps ensure the structural integrity and safety of the crane. Bending stress occurs when a force is applied to a beam or column, causing it to bend. If the bending stress exceeds the maximum allowable stress, the column may fail and the crane could collapse.

3. What factors affect the bending stress on the column in jib crane design?

The bending stress on the column is affected by several factors, including the weight of the load, the length of the jib arm, the angle of the jib arm, and the material and dimensions of the column. Additionally, the design of the crane, such as the type of connection between the jib and column, can also impact the bending stress.

4. How is bending stress on the column calculated in jib crane design?

Bending stress on the column can be calculated using the formula sigma = My/I, where sigma is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber of the column, and I is the moment of inertia of the column cross-section. The bending moment is calculated by multiplying the load by the distance from the column to the point of support on the jib arm.

5. What is the maximum allowable bending stress for a jib crane column?

The maximum allowable bending stress for a jib crane column depends on the material and dimensions of the column. The American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) provides guidelines for allowable bending stress based on the type of steel and the cross-sectional shape of the column. It is important to consult these guidelines and ensure that the calculated bending stress is within the allowable limits to ensure the safety and stability of the jib crane.