Jim Lehrer Passes: Honoring PBS Newshour's Brilliant Journalist

• Thread starter Klystron
  • Start date
In summary: Jim Lehrer passed away today after a long and successful career in journalism. He was known for his laid back and journalistic style, and was a respected source of news for many. Lehrer is most notably remembered for his work on the PBS Newshour, where he served as co-anchor for many years. Lehrer was also a well-known author and was recently awarded the National Medal of Arts. His death is a loss for all of journalism, and we will all miss his contributions.
Klystron
Gold Member
Public Broadcasting correspondent Jim Lehrer died today. Here is the obit on the Washington Post. (Apologies if behind a paywall).

Lehrer provided a laid back, honest rendition of world news on PBS Newshour. His gentle persuasive style belied his experience as a US marine corp officer and brilliant presidential debate monitor back when debates exposed candidates' ideas. His novels express a city editor's eye for truth underlying American myths. On a personal note as a war veteran I always felt a strong connection to Jim Lehrer's reporting; his honesty, clarity and obvious intelligence. Jim will be missed.

Edit: Here is his obituary from the New York Times.

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000, Astronuc, Adesh and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Sad to see.

These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'. TV news, as weak as it was in the 1990's, is not much more than Facebook these days, and may have less accurate facts.

McNeill/Lehrer were a cut above, and obviously had wide credibility.

Hopefully someone fills the void.

Likes Astronuc, gmax137, gleem and 1 other person
ChemAir said:
These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'...

A family friend worked at CBS news back in the 50's through the 70's. Those guys viewed their work as sacred.

Likes ChemAir, Klystron and Astronuc
ChemAir said:
Sad to see.

These days, I'm not sure what passes for 'reporter' or 'reporting'. TV news, as weak as it was in the 1990's, is not much more than Facebook these days, and may have less accurate facts.

McNeill/Lehrer were a cut above, and obviously had wide credibility.

Hopefully someone fills the void.

The PBS Newshour even after Lehrer's retirement still continues to maintain high standards, so I feel that they will continue to maintain solid work.

In terms of strong news reporting these days, I don't rely on any single news source. I primarily look at the following combination of news online:

1. BBC World News
2. Al Jazeera English
3. PBS Newshour (website)
4. Associated Press website
5. CBC News (for Canadian news)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ChemAir and Klystron
I had been a long-time viewer of the Newshour during the Lehrer's tenure there (by the time I started the Newshour on PBS, Robert MacNeill had left his position as co-anchor), and have long appreciated his professionalism and the overall quality of the Newshour's news and analysis.

He will be missed.

Likes Klystron
No obituary of Jim Lehrer would be complete without mentioning his dedication to feminism and promoting women to equal positions. Here is Judy Woodruff's viewpoint, Washington reporter and now anchor at PBS Newshour. The "young reporter with cancer" may refer to her co-anchor Gwen Ifill who passed recently.

For us tech buffs Lehrer and Newshour pioneered many techniques of modern news reporting and online access to archived information he regarded as essential for a well informed citizenry.

Likes StatGuy2000

What was Jim Lehrer known for as a journalist?

Jim Lehrer was known for his role as a co-anchor of PBS Newshour, a nightly news program that he helped create in 1975. He was also known for his unbiased and fair approach to reporting, earning the respect of viewers and colleagues alike.

What was Jim Lehrer's legacy in the world of journalism?

Jim Lehrer's legacy in journalism was one of integrity, consistency, and dedication to the truth. He was a pioneer in public broadcasting and set a high standard for journalistic ethics and professionalism. He also mentored and inspired many young journalists throughout his career.

How did Jim Lehrer contribute to the field of journalism?

Jim Lehrer contributed greatly to the field of journalism through his commitment to delivering unbiased and thorough news coverage. He also helped shape the landscape of public broadcasting and paved the way for future journalists to follow in his footsteps.

What are some notable moments or achievements in Jim Lehrer's career?

Some notable moments or achievements in Jim Lehrer's career include his coverage of the Watergate scandal, his moderation of 12 presidential debates, and his many awards and honors, such as the National Humanities Medal and the Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism.

How will Jim Lehrer be remembered and honored following his passing?

Jim Lehrer will be remembered and honored for his contributions to journalism, his dedication to the truth, and his impact on public broadcasting. Many individuals and organizations have paid tribute to him and his legacy will continue to live on through his work and the journalists he inspired.