JK Flip Flop Not Counting Properly in Actual Circuit

In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their circuit for creating up-down counters using J/K flip flops. The simulation is successful, but in the actual circuit using specific components, there are lags and difficulties with counting. The speaker mentions a potential issue with an IC and wonders if that could be causing the problem. They also mention that a different type of counter works well in the same circuit.
AilingLore21

Homework Statement

Hello everyone. I tried practicing creating up down counters using the J/K FF. I've been using the Synchronized Clock with an up down counter and the simulation seems to be successful based on this circuit on the image
However, in the actual circuit in a breadboard using a 74LS73 IC, a 555 timer with the capacitor and resistors, and an 74LS86, it somehow lags after counting to the max and sometimes refuses to count further for a few seconds . For example, after it successfully counts up to 3, it doesn't go immediately to 0 and instead goes to 2 and goes back to 3 again until it snaps out of it. When it counts down to 0, it refuses to go back to 3 and vice versa. It still counts up and down based on the switch but I don't know what's the problem with this.

The asynchronous 3 bit down D counter works very well in the breadboard. I wonder what's causing this? An IC problem perhaps?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

wlaFMht.png
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell from the drawing, but is the flip flops clear pin tied high?

What is a JK flip flop?

A JK flip flop is a type of electronic circuit that can store one bit of information, either a 0 or a 1. It has two inputs, J and K, and two outputs, Q and Q'. The outputs change based on the inputs and the current state of the flip flop.

Why is my JK flip flop not counting properly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that the clock signal is working properly and is connected to the clock input of the flip flop. Also, check that the J and K inputs are stable and not changing rapidly. Another possible reason could be an incorrect wiring connection or a malfunctioning component.

How do I troubleshoot my JK flip flop circuit?

The first step in troubleshooting a JK flip flop circuit is to check all the connections and make sure they are correct. Next, use a multimeter to check the voltage levels at different points in the circuit. If the voltage levels are not as expected, there could be a problem with a component. You can also use a logic analyzer to check the signals at different points in the circuit to identify any errors.

What are some common mistakes when working with JK flip flops?

One common mistake is forgetting to connect the clock signal to the clock input of the flip flop. Another mistake is using an unstable or noisy signal for the J or K inputs, which can cause the flip flop to count incorrectly. It is also important to make sure that the power supply is providing a stable voltage to the circuit.

How can I improve the performance of my JK flip flop circuit?

There are a few ways to improve the performance of a JK flip flop circuit. First, make sure to use high-quality components and ensure that they are properly connected. Additionally, you can add noise-reducing components such as capacitors or use a more stable power supply. You can also try using a different type of flip flop or a different design that may better suit your needs.