1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

JK Flip-Flops counter problem

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    Exam question:

Use J-K flip-flops to design the logic for a synchronous up/down counter that counts "up" through the sequence 1 2 6 3 5 7 f the input switch UP is 1, and "down" through the sequence 7 2 1 5 3 6 if UP is 0. Verify that the counter is self-starting.

What I know so far:

Ok so in my book I've found a similar circuit, except it's to count through the sequence 1 2 3 4 and so on. And I'm not sure at all how I'd go about changing the circuit to work for the question above. The circuit I have is:

article1.sync_bin_c.gif

Any ideas?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Mark200, welcome to PF!

Hmmm....so it looks like you'll need three bits. And you want to go through the sequence:

It looks like the circuit you have makes great use of the fact that setting J = K = 1 toggles Q to change state, and setting J = Q = 0 keeps it the same. So I would expect that what would change would be which output of which AND gate goes where. That's all I've got though, short of actually trying to draw out different circuits.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Ok I'm afraid I'm going to need to ask for more help on this question!! I failed my exam and I have to do a repeat exam, and it's tomorrow hah. And this question came up on the original exam!

I've been trying to figure out how to do it. I found a way, but it involves having about three logic gates for every single input and it's extremely messy. There must be an easier way. I tried to scan my work so far in but my scanner isn't working!! I've thought about changing where the outputs go but I don't think that'll work.

Any ideas?? As much help as possible would be great! Even if it doesn't come up on the exam tomorrow it'd just be a relief to finally know how to do this question

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sure it's a bit late for your exam. But instead of trying to find some ad-hoc jerry-rig that works, why don't you make a next state karnaugh map table with variables s, y0,y1,y2 from which you can solve for the J and K inputs? Takes a little time but also removes all the trial and error guesswork.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook