Applying for Jobs: Age's Impact in Your Area

• Thread starter Jekertee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Job
In summary: However, in general, the longer you have been out of work, the longer it will take for them to actually interview you.
Jekertee
Is it more difficult or easier to apply for a job in your area when you are old ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "old".

It's certainly easier once you have experience and industry contacts... but I'm sure after some point, diminishing returns set in and people avoid hiring the guy who is planning on retiring next year.

Last edited:
I agree with TMFKAN64,

If your retiring age it doesn't mean you can't get a job, it will just be a lot tougher.

I saw a guy co-oping at IBM who looked like he was in his mid 50's.

You also have to think logically about the situation if a company wants an employee to stick around for awhile and if your 40, another kid is 23 but you both have the same qualifications he might favor the 23 year old but doesn't mean he will.

He may favor the 40 year old because maybe he sees you as more responsible or more dedicated to your work because you have more financial obligations like a family to support.

Not saying your 40 just an example.

Last edited:
"define old"
Anyone 20 years older than me.
52 now defines the middle of 'middle aged' since I just reached 52.
in 10 years, the median point of middle age will be miraculously moved to 62.
The only really good thing about getting 'old' is that there are more 'younger women' every day.
AND...at 52 I am finishing my BS in engineering technology...It will be interesting to see how employable I am...or am not.

Anything above 21 is just old.

What is an "industry contact" ?

If I apply for a job then accepting me or not becomes an issue. Usually how long does it take for such debate to reach a decision ?

An industry contact is someone at the particular job who already knows your work. Assuming that you have done good work in the past, it is *much* easier to get a job in a group with a former colleague than it is to get a job by sending your resume to strangers.

(I should point out that I'm coming at this from a computer industry perspective. As we've established in other threads, computer people flit around various jobs like bees about flowers... physicists evidently have more of a tendency to stay put.)

As for time, it varies widely. Sometimes people are ready for you to start tomorrow, sometimes you are the first person through the door and they want to do a thorough search before hiring anyone.

Last edited:

1. What are the potential impacts of age on job applications in a particular area?

The potential impacts of age on job applications in a particular area can vary depending on the industry, company culture, and job requirements. In some cases, age may be a factor in hiring decisions, while in others it may not be relevant at all.

2. How can I address concerns about my age during the job application process?

It is important to focus on your skills, experience, and qualifications when applying for a job, regardless of your age. Be prepared to highlight your relevant accomplishments and explain how you can contribute to the company's success.

3. Are there any laws or regulations that protect against age discrimination in the hiring process?

Yes, there are several laws and regulations that protect against age discrimination in the hiring process, such as the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. These laws prohibit employers from discriminating against individuals over the age of 40 in hiring, firing, and other employment practices.

4. How can I overcome potential age-related biases during the job application process?

One way to overcome potential age-related biases is to highlight your relevant skills and experience, rather than your age. Additionally, networking and connecting with individuals in your desired industry can help you to break through any potential barriers.

5. Is there any advantage to being an older candidate in the job application process?

While there may be some industries or companies that value older candidates for their experience and wisdom, there is no clear advantage to being an older candidate in the job application process. Ultimately, the most important factor is your qualifications and fit for the specific job and company.