What are the Job Opportunities for a Theoretical Physics Degree Holder?

In summary, it is common for people to enter the field of physics with the goal of obtaining a PhD. However, job prospects for those who do not complete a PhD can be limited, and additional schooling may be necessary to gain marketable skills. In terms of career opportunities, a combination of a physics bachelor's degree and a master's degree in engineering or computer science can lead to good job prospects. The current job market for physics graduates may be affected by factors such as the global economy and the increase in college graduates. Ultimately, the safest plan of action for someone seeking a PhD in physics may be to pursue a bachelor's degree in physics and a master's degree in a related field.
MrApex
Im considering a career in Theoretical Physics. In terms of jobs what opportunities would I have after my Bachelors , my Masters and then after my PHD. What is the most typical pattern followed by most people going into physics? Job after Masters or before it? and what is the future like for theoretical physics? After reading through quite a lot of posts , I've got this mindset of folks with a Physics degree begging for jobs and regretting their choice? I'm not one for the money but i'll obviously need to feed a family so what should someone like myself do and what options do I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think most people on this board are more optimistic than me, so keep that in mind.

Most people enter physics to get a PhD. Most don't make it that far, but those that do have good to great job prospects, depending on what they did for their research. Most do not become professors or professional physicists though.

If you don't get a PhD you will want to do some kind of grad school. Something in electrical engineering or computer science is a natural choice for a physics BS grad. With just a BS you will not have many options. Teach for America is one place that hires unskilled physics BS grads. Otherwise, you will need to heavily rely on skills gained in undergrad research to be marketable.

ModusPwnd said:
I think most people on this board are more optimistic than me, so keep that in mind.

Most people enter physics to get a PhD. Most don't make it that far, but those that do have good to great job prospects, depending on what they did for their research. Most do not become professors or professional physicists though.

If you don't get a PhD you will want to do some kind of grad school. Something in electrical engineering or computer science is a natural choice for a physics BS grad. With just a BS you will not have many options. Teach for America is one place that hires unskilled physics BS grads. Otherwise, you will need to heavily rely on skills gained in undergrad research to be marketable.

so would it be advisable to do engineering and physics in your undergrad years? What's the safest plan of action for a person who ultimately wants to land a PHD in physics?

ModusPwnd said:

This does sound daunting, I must say. Has it always been this way, or is this state of affairs mostly caused by the everlasting recession?

DiracPool said:
This does sound daunting

Tell me about it

DiracPool said:
This does sound daunting, I must say.

Really? Compared to what? There no such thing as a guaranteed path to a career. But doing a physics BS for academic knowledge and then a MS for specific job related skills is a pretty good bet. This should only take 6-8 years and you will likely be making more right out of college than the median US household income.

I don't think this is a function of the recession. I think its a function of the third world becoming the developing world and the increase in college graduates (at home and abroad).

MrApex said:
Im considering a career in Theoretical Physics. In terms of jobs what opportunities would I have after my Bachelors , my Masters and then after my PHD. What is the most typical pattern followed by most people going into physics? Job after Masters or before it? and what is the future like for theoretical physics? After reading through quite a lot of posts , I've got this mindset of folks with a Physics degree begging for jobs and regretting their choice? I'm not one for the money but i'll obviously need to feed a family so what should someone like myself do and what options do I have?

Depending on the industry a physics bachelors might have even better opportunities than the engineering bachelors due to their varied background and if they have experience in simulations than all the better. When I went to my first job/career fair conference Lockheed Martin screen for physics majors explicitly for their systems engineering offices in Orlando, this might've been a function of the fact that their manager there had a physics background but still. Physics majors were getting plenty of internships from NASA at that conference too.
Generally the engineering major has a lot more opportunities than the physics major because he's taught skills directly applicable to industry in their classes vs the physics major who's mainly taught lots of sophisticated ways to use maths in only ideal situations (no such thing as infinitely long, uniformly charged cylinders in the real world I'm afraid).
What a lot of physics or math majors do is finish their bachelors and than do masters in electrical, mechanical, or nuclear engineering and that tends to be pretty lucrative. A masters in physics will not be so advantageous unless its in something like engineering or applied physics where the program has some connection to industry (UT dallas applied physics program is one).
Usually for the physicist the masters is either a terminal degree for the person who couldn't finish the phd or is part of a program where the person's undergrad credentials couldn't get them into a phd program so they do a masters to beef up their resume.
You'll probably see the max earning potential out of a purely physics oriented career from the Phd. I'm just an undergrad mind you, but I've read up on this alot, YMMV.

1. What is the job market like for physicists?

The job market for physicists is currently very strong. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for physicists in a variety of industries, such as healthcare, renewable energy, and technology.

2. What types of jobs are available for physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, healthcare, aerospace, and government agencies. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data scientist, medical physicist, and aerospace engineer.

3. What skills do I need to be successful in the job market as a physicist?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles, successful physicists also possess skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also important for physicists to stay updated on the latest advancements in their field and have proficiency in relevant software and programming languages.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to find a job as a physicist?

While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to entry-level positions in some industries, most jobs in physics require at least a master's degree. A Ph.D. is typically required for research and teaching positions. Additionally, obtaining a graduate degree can also lead to higher-paying job opportunities.

5. Is the job market for physicists competitive?

The job market for physicists can be competitive, especially for top positions in research and academia. However, individuals with a strong education, relevant experience, and a diverse skill set are in high demand and have a better chance of securing a job in the field. Networking and staying updated on industry developments can also help in finding job opportunities.