1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job opportunities for an Astrophysics?

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    I was just wondering if what job opportuniteis are out there for an Astrophysicist. Im actually really into that these days.. Hehe..
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2
    The obvious :

- Professor
    - Researcher at Federal institutions

The less obvious :

- Researcher for Private sector (satellite/aerospace/meteorology companies)
    - Using mathematical methods learned for completely different field of research

Plenty of stuff going on, especially in the right sub-fields.
  4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    Hooah, thats so cool...

Can I be in NASA by any chance? :smile:
  5. Jan 16, 2005 #4
    That's definitely one of the "Federal institutions".
  6. Jan 16, 2005 #5
    Yay.... Hehe

Just another question, in NASA, to they use the Imperial or the Metric measurements?
  7. Jan 17, 2005 #6
    Measurement depend mostly on what field you're in, more than where you work. Aviation use the Imperial system, while much of science (Phys. Chem and Biol.) uses Metric. Engineers have to use both.
  8. Jan 17, 2005 #7
    I never thought much of the various systems until I really began my learning in Physics and Engineering. I wish we (the US) would just switch over to the Metric system and be done with it. Much superior in my opinion.
  9. Jan 17, 2005 #8

if nothing else it would make one fewer communication barrier with the rest of the world
  10. Jan 17, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And maybe more Mars probes that actually *land* on the planet! :smile:
  11. Jan 17, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some trivia. What are the only three countries in the world that use the "English" system?
  12. Jan 17, 2005 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can I try ?

The US, Myanmar (erstwhile Burma) and....gosh...can't recall the third :grumpy:
  13. Jan 18, 2005 #12

US customary system and British Imperial system are apparently different, similar, but not identical.

At any rate the only countries thst do not officially use the metric system are the US, Myanmar and Liberia.

Consider it our way of snubbing europe, as so much of what we do is aimed to accomplish.
  14. Jan 18, 2005 #13
    Doesn't Britain use a mix of everything? Last time i checked they used stones, pounds AND kilos, depending on which way the wind is blowing each day.
  15. Jan 18, 2005 #14

But the metric is the official system, as of the 1970s. S
  16. Jan 29, 2005 #15
    I agree about needing to change to the metric system.
    Damn you backward americans. heh. j/k

The metric system is much more logical, however I thought there was worldwide scientific stds of measurement?
  17. Jan 29, 2005 #16
    yes, and its not the official system sanctioned by the government.
  18. Jan 29, 2005 #17
    I think the metric is a million times better.

Just as celsious is a billion times better than Farenheit. I mean did whoever created farenheit just stick a pin into a line of numbers to decide his boiling point and freezing point?!?!?
  19. Jan 29, 2005 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you're correct.

(Geez, I forgot I even asked this question) :redface:
  20. Jan 29, 2005 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yeah???, well I think that the imperial system is 1576349 times better than metric. :rofl:

(get it? I used an arbitrary, completely impossible to remember conversion factor instead of a nice power of ten. LOL, it's easy to see which system I really think is better).

It's about time the SI system was adopted whole-heartedly everywhere
  21. Feb 1, 2005 #20
    If you go into astrophysics, I would suggest getting an academic position. After that, you can move into federal or industrial labs if you so desire. Without having an academic position - everyone wonders if you've really got what it takes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?