Is the Chemistry Job Market in Shambles?

In summary, the job market for chemists is currently abysmal, with many chemists struggling to find high-paying jobs with benefits and room for advancement. This is due to a combination of issues, including politics in academia and immigration. While there is still a demand for chemists, it is important to have a strong academic record, internships, and research experience to be competitive in the job market. It is also beneficial to have additional skills and education in areas such as computer programming, microbiology, and engineering. The chemical industry and academia are diverse fields, so it is important to research and determine which specific area of chemistry one would like to work in for the best chances of finding a job.
aerohead_18
After digging around the web to piece together a picture of the chemistry job market, it looks pretty abysmal. There are countless posts on other sites by disgruntled chemists complaining about working hard for advanced degrees only to end up in low-wage jobs with no benefits and minimal upward mobility. I also read "The Real Science Gap" (look it up, it's a good read), which analyzed why this has happened to so many scientists who came to the field expecting high demand. According to the article, it's tied in with the politics of academia, immigration, and myriad other issues. The overall picture I get is that the profession is in tatters.

So, is what I've gathered accurate? I'm looking into potential majors and I have a strong interest in chem, but if the prospects are really that bad it might not be worth pursuing. Anyone have any insights into whether or not chemistry will be a viable field to enter within the next five to ten years? Or the best way to go about doing that in terms of specialization, research work, etc.?

(On a side note, what's weird is how this goes against almost everything that gets pushed on you in school, that "STEM" careers are in insanely high demand and are all awesome fields to go into. It's almost like students are being lied to if this isn't really the case. )

Physics news on Phys.org
"Chemistry", is not any single field. It is extremely diverse.

Some or much of what you described in your first paragraph truly describes a real problem. Even with all that, good prospects for jobs are usually match-able to candidates with higher grades, better sets of elective coursework, have had internships, or have had research experience of more than a year, learned to be proficient in some piece or type of measurement instrument, have learned how to operate some useful or common aparatus.

Also consider, that Chemistry alone is not always enough. Other types of courses will make you better in addition to just the degree in Chemistry. Have you some computer programming and interfacing education and training? Some courses of Microbiology? Any engineering courses? Vocational training before you studied Chemistry? Were any of it related to anything chemical?

I know a person with a PhD in chemistry but was working as a realestate agent.

Your mileage may vary.

Likes atyy and symbolipoint
I know a person with a PhD in chemistry but is working as Chancellor of Germany.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule, Choppy and atyy
symbolipoint said:
"Chemistry", is not any single field. It is extremely diverse.

Good point. For the purposes of this discussion let's say I meant specifically jobs within the chemical industry or academia that are directly related to chemistry.

I know a person who never went to university and is now a billionaire who works for himself.

Your mileage might vary. xD

I actually personally know a person who did chemistry BACHELORS and now works in a bank.

Your mileage might vary.

Last edited:
Likes yitzchak
aerohead_18 said:
Good point. For the purposes of this discussion let's say I meant specifically jobs within the chemical industry or academia that are directly related to chemistry.
Same idea. Too diverse. The "Chemcial Industry" is not a single industry. It is many different industries.

One should think if possible, "what part of the chemical industry would I like to be in?"
From that, one can investigate employment opportunities in that part of the Chemistry world and try to decide how to arrange an education for degree in Chemistry for that.

Vanadium 50 said:
I know a person with a PhD in chemistry but is working as Chancellor of Germany.

Your mileage may vary.
Know, or know of? If the former, maybe she can post in the Chem forum occasionally at your behest.

Know of. But I did meet Joachim Gauck.

1. What types of jobs are available for chemistry graduates?

Chemistry graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, materials science, and consumer goods. They can work as research scientists, analytical chemists, quality control technicians, chemical engineers, and more.

2. What skills do I need to succeed in the chemistry job market?

In addition to strong knowledge and understanding of chemistry concepts, employers also look for candidates with critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Communication, teamwork, and attention to detail are also important skills for success in the chemistry job market.

3. What is the demand for chemists in the job market?

The demand for chemists is expected to grow in the coming years, with an average job growth rate of 6% from 2019 to 2029. This is due to the increasing need for chemists in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science, as well as the retirement of older chemists.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a successful career in chemistry?

While a bachelor's degree in chemistry can lead to various job opportunities, a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, can open up more advanced and specialized roles in the field. It can also lead to higher salaries and opportunities for research and leadership positions.

5. How can I improve my job prospects in chemistry?

In addition to obtaining a strong education and gaining relevant experience through internships or research opportunities, networking and building connections in the industry can greatly improve job prospects. It is also important to continuously update and expand your skills and knowledge through professional development opportunities.