Job search ideas for an applied math major?

In summary, the OP is an applied math major and is interested in pursuing jobs in data science, software development, or actuarial work.
ryl3gol
I am an applied math major. What are some jobs you would recommend looking in to? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

Before any of us can answer your question, we would need to know the following details:

1. Where are you located?

2. Are you currently a student? If so, are you still pursing your undergraduate studies? Or are you a graduate student? If not a current student, when did you graduate?

3. What skills do you possess? For example, do you have programming experience?

4. How much previous work experience do you have?

5. What types of jobs are you interested in pursuing?

Likes WWGD
1. Oregon, currently south but normally Portland

2. currently undergrad

3. I have a lot of programming experience, yes

4. Some, I have a part-time job right now, and I had summer jobs all through high school

5. I'm not super picky; being an actuary sounds interesting, or pretty much anything involving statistics.

Thank you for your help! :1)

Likes WWGD
ryl3gol said:
1. Oregon, currently south but normally Portland

2. currently undergrad

3. I have a lot of programming experience, yes

4. Some, I have a part-time job right now, and I had summer jobs all through high school

5. I'm not super picky; being an actuary sounds interesting, or pretty much anything involving statistics.

Thank you for your help! :1)

OK thanks for providing more information.

Given that you have programming experience and are interested in statistics, one option that may be open for you are the growing positions related to data science. Typically, these positions will require you to pursue further graduate studies (usually a Masters), but people with just undergrad backgrounds have been able to break into this field. My own recommendation would be to finish a Masters in statistics, but that depends on whether you are interested in further graduate studies.

Of course, your programming experience also opens up software development or IT positions, which could potentially be very interesting. People with applied math backgrounds have often worked in software, especially those related to any type of scientific computing or numerical analysis backgrounds. Game dev is currently hot right now, so that may be something to think about.

Finally, you did express an interest in actuarial work. My recommendation here would be to start working on the actuarial exams (if you haven't already), and start working in internships in actuarial consulting or insurance firms available. I don't know what the opportunities in this area are like for those in Portland, Oregon, but it may be worth taking a look.

Anyways, best of luck on your future endeavours!

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
I have considered postgraduate education, but I'm not sure about that yet. Thank you for all the ideas!

I have a friend with a Master's in Math. She now works at Google developing algorithms to detect and counteract people trying to game Google's search metrics. It sounds super interesting and she makes a very good living. This could be right up your alley given your combination of software and math skills.

Likes StatGuy2000 and Greg Bernhardt
analogdesign said:
She now works at Google developing algorithms to detect and counteract people trying to game Google's search metrics
Let me know if she has any tips for us! :biggrin:

Likes analogdesign, StatGuy2000 and WWGD

What types of jobs can I apply for with an applied math major?

Applied math majors have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, computer science, engineering, and more. Some specific job titles include data scientist, financial analyst, actuary, risk analyst, and operations research analyst.

How can I make my job search more targeted for my applied math major?

One way to make your job search more targeted is to research companies and industries that have a need for applied math skills. You can also network with professionals in these fields and attend career fairs to learn about job opportunities.

Are there any specific skills or experiences that employers look for in applied math majors?

Employers may look for skills such as data analysis, problem-solving, critical thinking, and programming in languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB. Experience with statistical software and internships in relevant industries can also make you a more competitive candidate.

What resources can I use to find job opportunities as an applied math major?

There are various resources you can use, such as online job search engines, company websites, professional networking sites like LinkedIn, and job fairs. You can also reach out to your university's career services center for job search support and advice.

How can I stand out as an applied math major during the job application process?

To stand out during the job application process, highlight specific projects or coursework that showcase your skills and experience in applied math. Tailor your resume and cover letter to each job application, and be prepared to discuss how your skills can be applied to the specific role and company. Additionally, obtaining certifications or attending workshops in relevant areas can also make you a stronger candidate.