Finding a Job in the U.S. with a Background in Nuclear Physics: Tips and Advice

In summary, the French scientific programmer with a PhD in Nuclear Physics is moving to the U.S. and is looking for a job in either the government or private sector. He is also interested in staying connected to the scientific community and is subscribed to the APS and ANS career websites.
starbuckBSG
Hello, I'm a French scientific programmer with a PhD in Nuclear Physics. During and after my PhD, I worked and still work at a French national laboratory on nuclear energy working on scientific software. I'm moving to the U.S. in a few months for my American wife's career in Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area) and am a green card holder / permanent resident.

I plan to do the regular job search online, but I would also like to get involved in the scientific community to keep up my skill set and network. I would be happy to volunteer too. I've already signed up for membership with APS (American Physical Society) and ANS (American Nuclear Society), but would like to network more face-to-face. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my job search. I know it will be particularly hard because of my nuclear background (often, these jobs require U.S. citizenship / clearance). Merci!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you'll be in Stanford's back yard, so I would start by looking at SLAC or Lawrence Livermoore.

Being geographically limited is going to make it harder, but I agree with daveb to check out Lawrence Livermore National Lab (https://www.llnl.gov/) and
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (http://www.slac.stanford.edu/).

In addition, both the APS and the ANS have job posting websites. The APS one is public, while the ANS is for members only (last time I checked). Those are always good places to start. You could look specifically at any universities near your new home. Always your best bet is to have an 'in' somewhere. Do any of your colleagues in France have American collaborators? If so, ask them to introduce you (even if by email) so you can start extending your network.

Thanks for the responses. I've been checking the Lawrence Livermore, Berkeley Lab, and SLAC career websites for some time, but most of the jobs in my expertise require U.S. citizenship which I will not have within 5 years' time. I've also subscribed to the APS and ANS career websites and have been checking those regularly. I'll keep up my efforts and keep looking for possible contacts.

Because of the government clearance / citizenship obstacle, I'm also looking into jobs in private industry. If anyone has any advice to that end, please let me know. My core programming skills are primarily in C++ in the Linux environment.

It will be difficult to get a position at LLNL being a foreign national. FN's are hired but it is usually a bit targeted if you aren't moving up through the postdoc route.

If you do get hired in private industry I would be curious where you end up. There are plenty of jobs in the bay area for someone with a strong quantitative background could qualify for but it is less clear to me how easy it is for someone with a nuclear physics background.

1. What job opportunities are available in the field of nuclear physics?

There are various job opportunities available in the field of nuclear physics, including research positions in universities, national laboratories, and private companies. Other options include engineering roles in nuclear power plants, medical physics positions in healthcare settings, and government positions in areas such as nuclear security and non-proliferation.

2. What qualifications are needed for a job in nuclear physics?

Typically, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required for entry-level positions in nuclear physics. However, higher-level positions and research roles often require a master's or doctoral degree. Additional qualifications such as experience with specific software or equipment may also be necessary, depending on the specific job.

3. Is there a demand for nuclear physicists in the job market?

Yes, there is a demand for nuclear physicists in various industries, including energy, healthcare, and national security. With advancements in technology and research, the need for skilled nuclear physicists is expected to continue to grow in the future.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge necessary for a job in nuclear physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, knowledge of nuclear processes, radiation safety, and computer programming are essential skills for a job in nuclear physics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are important qualities for a nuclear physicist to possess.

5. Are there any specific organizations or associations for nuclear physicists to join?

Yes, there are several organizations and associations for nuclear physicists to join, such as the American Nuclear Society, the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, and the American Association of Physicists in Medicine. These organizations provide networking opportunities, professional development resources, and access to the latest research and advancements in the field of nuclear physics.