1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job search tips

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    I'm currently working towards my MSc in physics. Pretty much all I have left is to finish my thesis project. I hope to have the research portion done by december and my thesis written and defense done by february, so I've started looking for work. The problem is I've never had a job in industry, and I'm not really sure where to start.

I've tried looking through the jobs posted at Monster.com, but most of them seem to be either employement agencies, not in the field that I want (optics) or require a lot more experience than I have. So what I am looking for is advice on effective ways to search for jobs. How do I find companies that are hiring? What is a good way to get my resume noticed amongst all the other candidates? Are there any other good websites other than monster.com that have job listings?

On a slightly different note, I'm a US citizen but I would really love to live in Canada or Europe for awhile. How hard would it be to get a job in another country working in optics?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    Job Search Engine

For Msc physics jobs try jobmixi.com, india's largest job search engine which lists jobs on uesr requirements.
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    My advice, is to go to your career administration office if your school has one and ask for their help. They might have some job openings for other companies and could help you post your resume on numerous other places.
  5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

My advice is to make finding a job your job. Spend as much time looking for a job as you would spend working on the job.

Put your resume on Monster, or anywhere, just for the heck of it- let the professional recruiters do some work for you. Don't be intimidated by experience requirements- your immediate goal should be to get an interview.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?